Stuck throttle linkage!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Close call today. Went out for a spin and nailed it. The throttle linkage got stuck. It hung up on something but managed to get it unstuck in time. It is the old linkage bar. Does anyone know if a company sells a kit for the new kind of throttle linkage like in the new cars? I know they are a lot more reliable than the old linkages, alot more safer too. I ve got a 750 holley carb on a big block and today was too close for comfort. I like to lean on it hard but dont want to be paranoid about getting into this situation again. Please any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance MARKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 05:23 PM
David Pozzi

Make shure your motor mount and all mount bolts are OK. You can open the hood and slip the clutch with the E brake on and watch the engine to check it.
First gen Camaros would break the drivers side mount and rock up under acceleration pulling on the throttle linkage.
6 cylinder Camaros used a cable setup from the factory. there is a bump in the firewall that is used for the cable anchor. The cable is held with a single screw, that screw is the ground strap screw that goes to the valve cover. The gas pedal is just like the one you have now, but has an arm rising up inside the car above the pedal.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech

I have and Enderly linkage, this has heim joints on both end, and brass bushings that fit both the carb and throttle arm. I got mine at a boat supply place, cost about $30, worth every penny.

Steve R.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I was at the boneyard last week and was eyeing a '72 Nova that has a factory cable operated throttle setup. Same firewall as a first gen car. You would have to drill one hole to make it work. The setup basically eliminates the firewall side lever. There is still a lever inside the car but it is under the dash. $10??

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I had the same thing happen to me. It's most likely your motor mounts. Mine was cracked last time. They also could just be loose. This can allow your linkage to get hung up on the air cleaner.

Be carefull mine happened in busy traffic while I was taking a left turn in a busy intersection. I didn't even hit it. Remember to just shut off the key.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

The older chevs 64 -66 had a recall where a cable was attached to the front of the manifold and looped through the upper control arm bar. This prevented the motor from lifting after the motor mount failed. Once the motor lifts it pulls the throttle wide open. " Scary " I found an old car at the bone yard and scooped the braket and cable, I had to slightly modify the bracket but now it fits the 68 like a glove and looks original.
I decided to add this after I replace the motor and knowing that the kids would be driving the car, I had it happen to me with yaers ago with my 64 Ragtop, better to be safe than sorry.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 03:50 PM
David Pozzi

Energy suspension makes an interlocking mount that replaces the stock one and is available in black or red. They also have the thicker 69 mounts.

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 00, 04:15 PM

Your linkage is either too tight or your left (drivers side) motor mount may be broken. Had the same thing happen to me once-Freaky!

-leif

------------------
67 RS/SS L78 Camaro
00 Corvette
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 04:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you like fancy, a company called "Lokar" does custom cable linkages for just about anything. you'll find their ad's in many mag's, particularly those featuring street rods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode