Team Camaro Tech banner

1987 camaro

6K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Phenix 
#1 ·
Hello, I own a 1987 camro and would like to know what model it is? Is it a RS, Z28 or what? It has a 305 carb. engine and it is a t-top.Automatic tranny. Any info will be helpfull. Tahnks Travis

#6 ·
Its probobly a Berlinetta(lol) just kidding. Its hard to say we really need the vin#. The Z/28 in 87 had a carbed 305 and the RS, There were only small diferences like the steering wheel and the rims 15"VS16". But Its definately not an IROC.

------------------
Bright Blue Metallic 1989 Pro Touring RS,Full Hotchkis Suspension,Baer Brakes,Competition Engineering Sub-Connectors,Flowmaster

#7 ·
i have an 87' Iroc,tpi,oem 305(factory roller cam,for those that didn't know).Eq'd with a 700R4 trans,and factory 3.08 rear gears,buddy of mine in town has an 85-Z28(NON-iroc)and it was eq'd with the same set-up.Just tring to say,it's hard to know what u have untill u run the VIN#. Take the VIN# to your local Chevy Dealer and get the people in the parts department to lend a hand!-----HAPPY HOT RODING------

#8 ·
The VIN number won't specify what model the camaro is. The 5th digit in the VIN specifies the body style. For 1987 Chevy, "P" would indicate camaro, all models. To indicate what you have exactly, you'll need the RPO codes. In the glove box or center console, there is a sticker with around 30 something 3 digit codes, these are the RPO codes. If yours is an RS, you should have a code Y86.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options

#10 ·
i dont think it is a rs because they didnt make rs's in 87 except for in california they didnt start making rs's in third gen camaros till 89 it could either be a regular sports coupe or z28

------------------
92 camaro 25th anniversary polo green with 2 gold stripes

89 camaro rs

#12 ·
Well Ros is right they didnt have an 87 RS.. I have an 87 LT. ITs a carbed 305. Anyway, this page --> http://www.angelfire.com/biz/chevroletcamaro/ has a little thing where you can input ur VIN number and it'll tell you all the corresponding info about your car, its under the Codes button on the left menu. Also, under the engine menu it has a break down of all camaros 82-92 models with engine specs

------------------
What doesn't Kill you only makes you more pist.

#13 ·
Chevrolet did make a RS in '87, they only came with the 2.8 V-6 and were only available in Black, Red, and White. they were sold only in California, Texas and Florida. the same is true for 1988. in '89 the base Camaro was the RS and those were similar to the '87 and '88's except the L03 V-8 was available as a option, the headlight buckets were the same color as the rest of the body, unlike the '87's and '88's were black, and the Z28/IROC 3 spoke leather wrapped wheel was not used in the '89. also the 5-spoke wheels were in silver only untill around December 1988. Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.