1987 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 99, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Hello, I own a 1987 camro and would like to know what model it is? Is it a RS, Z28 or what? It has a 305 carb. engine and it is a t-top.Automatic tranny. Any info will be helpfull. Tahnks Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 99, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech

Post the VIN from the windshield and I can tell you more!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 99, 09:44 AM

It probably a RS because I have a 87 and it has the same thing yours does

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 99, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

Like Dave said, need the VIN. Could be a RS as Dustin stated but in 87 the base Z was equipped with a 305 carb and auto tranny. There were alot equipped this way. T-Tops was a option on all models
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 00, 07:19 AM

Wink

I have an 1987 Z-28 with the IROC pkg. it has T-Tops, 305 T.P.I, and an Automatic Trans

The RS got the 15 inch 5 spoke aluminum Z28 wheel which were painted to match body
color. 1987 RS Camaro came only in red, white, or black.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 00, 11:19 AM

Its probobly a Berlinetta(lol) just kidding. Its hard to say we really need the vin#. The Z/28 in 87 had a carbed 305 and the RS, There were only small diferences like the steering wheel and the rims 15"VS16". But Its definately not an IROC.

------------------
Bright Blue Metallic 1989 Pro Touring RS,Full Hotchkis Suspension,Baer Brakes,Competition Engineering Sub-Connectors,Flowmaster
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 00, 07:04 PM

Exclamation

i have an 87' Iroc,tpi,oem 305(factory roller cam,for those that didn't know).Eq'd with a 700R4 trans,and factory 3.08 rear gears,buddy of mine in town has an 85-Z28(NON-iroc)and it was eq'd with the same set-up.Just tring to say,it's hard to know what u have untill u run the VIN#. Take the VIN# to your local Chevy Dealer and get the people in the parts department to lend a hand!-----HAPPY HOT RODING------
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 00, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

The VIN number won't specify what model the camaro is. The 5th digit in the VIN specifies the body style. For 1987 Chevy, "P" would indicate camaro, all models. To indicate what you have exactly, you'll need the RPO codes. In the glove box or center console, there is a sticker with around 30 something 3 digit codes, these are the RPO codes. If yours is an RS, you should have a code Y86.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 00, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

it also maybe a a sports coupe. i just sold my 87 sport coupe that had a 305 and 4bbl. but if it has ground effects it either a z/28 or RS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 00, 07:28 PM

i dont think it is a rs because they didnt make rs's in 87 except for in california they didnt start making rs's in third gen camaros till 89 it could either be a regular sports coupe or z28

------------------
92 camaro 25th anniversary polo green with 2 gold stripes

89 camaro rs
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

its not an rs cause they didn't make them in 87 and if its a z/28 then it would be port fuel injected that would have factory 215 horsepower, so you would have to see if its port fuel injected
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 07:42 AM

Lightbulb

Well Ros is right they didnt have an 87 RS.. I have an 87 LT. ITs a carbed 305. Anyway, this page --> http://www.angelfire.com/biz/chevroletcamaro/ has a little thing where you can input ur VIN number and it'll tell you all the corresponding info about your car, its under the Codes button on the left menu. Also, under the engine menu it has a break down of all camaros 82-92 models with engine specs

------------------
What doesn't Kill you only makes you more pist.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 01:27 PM
Tech Team

Chevrolet did make a RS in '87, they only came with the 2.8 V-6 and were only available in Black, Red, and White. they were sold only in California, Texas and Florida. the same is true for 1988. in '89 the base Camaro was the RS and those were similar to the '87 and '88's except the L03 V-8 was available as a option, the headlight buckets were the same color as the rest of the body, unlike the '87's and '88's were black, and the Z28/IROC 3 spoke leather wrapped wheel was not used in the '89. also the 5-spoke wheels were in silver only untill around December 1988. Chris
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 08:44 PM

Hey, check this, I have a 87 Camaro with a 305 eng. 5-speed manual trany. And I believe it says berlinetta somewhere on the back near the plates, and this car movess. clock at 125mph in 4th gear. I just call it a camaro, people ask all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode