Bent Neck Radiators - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

Question

Which first gen Camaros came with bent neck radiators?

Copo and A/C cars? How about all BB cars?

For a 1968 396 non A/C car:

How does a 4 core radiator mount. Are the rubber well nuts the only thing needed (along with the proper bolts) on the left side?

How does the shroud mount? Bracket on the top? What about the L-shaped bracket on the right side, can that be installed on a 4 core radiator? Are clips needed as well?

Thanks,
Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

anybody?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 02:47 PM
David Pozzi

As far as I know, all firstgen radiators use solid mount on the right side and rubber well nuts on the drivers side. The HD radiators used on AC and BB cars are wider and use the second pair of holes in the radiator support.

The shroud clips in on the bottom side, the upper has a single bolt in the center which is supported by a bracket attached with two bolts to the radiator support.
You should get an Assembly manual for your car, it shows all this stuff and much much more.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

Thanks for responding David.

I should have explained the situation a little better.

I have the 68 assembly manual. The problem started when one of the after market catalogs said the right hand bracket was for 3-core radiators only. I didn't think that was corect but since my car was in pieces when I bought it who am I to say. It also said bent neck radiators were installed on big block cars. They didn't have an option for any other radiator so I asked the question.

The question on the clips was due to not really having a good illustration in the assembly manual. I am talking about the small clips you see in the catalogs not the right hand clip nor the top bracket.

How do these clips go on and where? The bottom only?

The well nuts I bought from our sponser for this website are not as large as the ones I have. I bought them more for the bolts but the bolts are not long enough to reach my well nuts so I thought maybe I was missing something here as well?

------------------
My '68 SS396

It never ends...It just keeps on getting better!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

I believe that In 1969 all COPO 427 camaros received HD 4 core curved neck radiators. All 396 received HD 3 core radiator with straight neck. I don't think any 68 camaros came with curved neck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech

Some of the COPO cars also came w/the straight neck radiators. Also, some of the '69 L-78's (396-375hp)came w/the curved necks. I am not aware of any 68's that came this way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
And yes all of the 69 396 AC cars had the curved neck to clear the AC compressor.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 08:08 AM
Dennis

Re: Bent Neck Radiators

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
I believe that In 1969 all COPO 427 camaros received HD 4 core curved neck radiators. All 396 received HD 3 core radiator with straight neck. I don't think any 68 camaros came with curved neck.
68' 396's came with curved necks as I owned one in 1968. 1968 SS 396 375 hp 13/16" anti sway bar, crooked neck radiator and aluminum heads all came on car as options.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
James

Re: Bent Neck Radiators

They didn't need a curved neck radiator in 1968, the Air Conditioning compressor was on the opposite side of the engine as it was in 1969.

The A/C compressor location in 1969 is the only reason the 4 core had a bent neck!

And yes there are some 1969 L78's with Performance axle ratio which received curved neck radiators, (Heavy Duty Cooling) if I am not mistaken there is a window sticker which shows the extra charge either with the Gear ratio or elsewhere.

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode