LT-1 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Question

I would post this in camaroz28.com or thirdgen.org, but i never get e-mails back with my password, it has been a week. Does anyone know what the differance between the Lt-1 in the camaro, the Lt-1 in the Impala and the TPI 350s?? Which do you think is better and is there even a diffeance between the camaro and the impala?
And if someone could get the other sites to work that would be great and i would not have to post 3rd and 4th gen stuff in a 1st gen board.
-Thanks
-Tom

-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

The Impala's have iron heads and a lower horsepower rating. The TPI 350's are very restricted due to the TPI setup. The LT1 out of the Camaro/Firebird is the best engine out of the 3. I have no problems posting over at www.camaroz28.com. Did you forget your password or is your email address set up wrong?

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

Yep what he said. The vette LT1 has a 4 bolt main, the camaro has a 2 bolt main, and different acessories, and the impala has iron heads and a 2 bolt main.

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech

From what I understand, the Impala LT1 has a little higher compression, different camshaft, gives a little more torque for the big body, less on top end. The TPI engines started out fairly weak but got better every year. Last TPI was rated at 245 HP and was a pretty stout engine, not a bad choice for an older car as it was pretty conventional. LT1 engines changed some early on, speed density to MAF controlled, then sequential fired injectors, went to the OBDII computer. Good LT1 is hard to beat, maybe the ultimate small block.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 06:49 PM

I read in a Chevy High performance about how to make a highway patrol Caprice into a Impala, they said the 1994-1996 cars had the 5.7 LT-1. I'm not sure of the details but I do know you can get those Caprice cars for not alot of money, maybe they could be a good source for cheaper LT-1s.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 05:20 AM

LT-1s from the caprice are ragged out motors. They are only good for rebuilding. Think about the abuse the patrol car takes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hmmm, I confused. The tpi 350 is the old motor, pre-96 vette and camaro, not sure about the other lines, always thought the big cars used a tBi 350, like a truck. The LT1 has way better heads, and cool things like reverse flow cooling. LT1's were used on camaros, vette's, and Impala SS's, '96 and later. Camaro and vette LT1's are virtually identical, Impala LT1's have iron heads and less cam.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

Nope. The LT1 debuted in the 92 vette, then in the Camaro from 93-97. in 97 the vette went to LS1, followed by the camaro in 98.
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ahh, right you are, TeeToe. Got my years confused. LT1 was 92-95, LT4 in '96, LS1 97 and up. But I stand firm that all full size cars used the same 2bbl Throttle Body Inj. 350 that the trucks used, axcept for Impala SS's, which used iron head LT1's.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech

You're pretty much right on the Impala TBI engines. Lots of the Police cars also used this standard engine. The state trouper cars did use the LT1 type engine. When these cars were retired many of them went to big city cab companies. I looked into buying one of these back when they were available but the prices were kind of steep I thought, maybe because of this. These cars run forever with the heavy duty coolers and such. I've heard that there was a smaller engine, maybe a 267 ? that looked just like the LT1 in the big Chevy. Port injection and all. Don't know about this for sure.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode