Header Gaskets - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I did a search in Camaros.net for header info and found mostly questions on what headers will fit. I found nothing on what gaskets to use with headers. One or more of my header pipes are leaking resulting in a loud ticking noise on one side of the block. I am suspected the #7 cylinder (left rear) since that is where the noise appears most prominent and I can see a crack at the top of the gasket above the port. I'm not sure of the make of the headers. Are there choices on header gaskets? If so what should I look for? I'm looking for tips on how to best seat the headers to keep them from leaking.
Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

Mark -

In my experience the biggest problem with header leaks is loose bolts. Some or all of the bolts ALWAYS loosen and then exhaust leaks out and cooks the gasket. Try a new set of gaskets and get some header bolt locks. Check them a couple of times after you run the car with the new gaskets and re-tighten the bolts as the gaskets settle. BTW - the Checker Auto on Quincy in Aurora carries high performance parts incl. header gaskets if you don't know of anything else local.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

I second the motion for header locks. RacerX has them as well. I think he was tightening header bolts every 2 weeks until he got the locking heads. Now they never move, you can get them from Summit.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 12:23 PM
Tech Team

I suggest using the Mr. Gasket "Ultra Seal" gaskets. I have used these many times with great success. I have also heard of soaking them in water before installation, to form a better seal, although I've never done it. Also, a common problem is over tightening the bolts, which warps the mateing flange, and creating a leak that burns out the gasket. Just my 2 cents worth.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks for the replies. Tonight I removed the six header bolts. As I pulled the flange away from the block the gasket fell apart on the end. I'll be out tomorrow morning looking for a new set of gaskets. This header is a little tight due to the power steering box.
Mark
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 11:57 AM
Tech Team

Spend the money for top quality gaskets such as Fel-Pro. I did once and have been doing so ever since. You may also want to have your flanges surfaced to ensure that they're flat.

------------------
74 Camaro
Canada, eh!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Went through a bunch of gaskets over the years. Tried everything. The Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal did the trick. Kind of amazed me that they work so well.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 04:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Factory type metal gaskets work really good, too. The white paper things sold for headers burn up after a season, everytime

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I ended up getting the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal since it looked like it would last much longer then the paper version. I finally got it installed on Sunday. The difference is amazing since the loud ticking is gone and the engine now sounds normal.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode