I replace the rear axle bearings on my '73. Man, that was a lot of work. Easy to get the axles out, open the dif cover, remove the screw, pull the pin, push the axles in (one at a time) and remove their clips, pull them out. That was the easy part. Pry out the old seals.
The bearings, what a bitch to get out. First I tried my friends slide hammer, that just broke them up a bit. Finally I rented a real slide hammer. It has 3 hooks that go inside and expand to grab the race. Then bang, bang, bang, try to knock it out. It took hours! Finally I got smart, removed the backing plates and put a propane torch on the housing. I tried to heat it evenly, but found just leaving it pointed at the housing while banging worked best. Finally got those suckers out. My wrist hurt for days.
To put the new bearings in, I put them in the freezer for a few hours first, heated the housing again, then knocked them in quickly before the temps equalized too much. One of them bottomed easily, the other I had to work at a bit. What a job!
BTW, I used those "axle saver" bearings, as the axels were wore down pretty far. I'm not sure if it had 240,000 miles or 340,000 miles, wish the odo had a 100K digit. I've watched it roll over once myself, I've got about 60K on it since I bought it.
Well, good luck with those axel bearings!
now: '73 LT1; '79 Z28
then: '67 coupe; '88 IROC; '95 Z28