what edelbrock carb? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i was at my local speed shop the other day. i was looking at geardrives (by the way i got a pete jackson, quiet) and i noticed the edelbrock carbs. so looking at the RPM carbs i see they only have a 600 and 750 cfm. my dad and i talked to the guy and he said that the 750 would be too much for my small block. and a 600 should be just right. i have a 625 or 650 q jet on my outdated holley street dominator single plane intake. so i figured i would buy a performer rpm manafold along with the carb. but im still stumped if i should get a 750 manual or electric choke carb for my car. i know guys who run 750 holley double pumpers. holley makes 600, 650, 700, 750, and 800 cfm carbs why does edelbrock only make 600 and 750? i didnt want a holley, my dad hates them, he has always been happy with carter carbs. any ideas? and is the performer rpm manafold a good low end power builder? my intake and carb suck! my motor has 1.94 heads, 10.5:1 compression, trw forged pistons, .30 over, pink rods, crower duel pattern cam (its pretty big and lumpy,)steal crank... all the good stuff.
thanks Justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 00, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech

the 600 should be good.i replaced my holley 750 on my 400 with the 600 electric choke,and it was much more responsive.i also reccomend playing around with the metering rods and springs.the carb comes with a tuning guide.i now have the carb on my 327 and it works well too.

------------------
68 camaro,hugger orange ,white stripes.327 4 speed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

I have the 1406 Edelbrock(600 cfm/electric choke),and Performer RPM on my 327.I put the carb on right out of the box a few years back and it ran good,but I got a little better performance out of it by having it tuned in on the dyno.I put the RPM manifold on this year and a new cam,so I still need to go back and tweak this in.Alot of people say a Holly will give you better performance,but the Edelbrock has better street manners(as Ignition man will tell you,if he reads this!LOL)I am very happy with mine though.BTW I run a Comp Cam 268H,and have 461 heads with 2.02-1.60's,I can rev this all the way to 6700RPM,I would think the 600 CFM would be all right for your 350,how high do you shift at?

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i couldent tell ya how high i shift at, i dont have a tach. but now that i have the geardrive installed, the car falls on its face when i would normally shift. it is so much more responsive, its great! but my carb wont do its job, and my car starts to choke. im gonna have to go with that 600 cfm and buy a jetting kit and stuff for it. thanks for all the info.
Justin

------------------
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have a 355, 10.5 comp, Performer RPM, Crane solids and, unfortunatley 1.94 heads. I also have a Holley 700 cfm double pumper. The street manners are great and it works fine out of the box. To me, holley's are easy to tune and there are some good booklets out on them. The only pain is dropping the bowls for jet/power valve changes but after the first time, I put the non-stick gaskets on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 00, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

I used to run a Carter 625 ( same as Edelbrock ) on a smallblock with no trouble at all. It was a great carb.

------------------
68 RS Ash Gold
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 00, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech

I am running an Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm, manual choke) carb on a Performer RPM manifold and I like how it performs. It's really smooth with great throttle response. I'd have gotten the electric choke if I hadn't been so paranoid about hood clearance. Turns out I have more than enough clearance for the spacer necessary to run the electric choke with a drop-base air cleaner. steve laabs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 00, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks guys for all the help. i hope i have enough clearence under my hood. i have a stock flat hood and a highrise single plane holley street dominator intake. im going to buy the carb and manafold all at one time. do you tink it will fit? also my local speed shop told me about $250-70 for a 600 cfm electric choke rpm carb and summit has them for as low as $204 should i get it from the speed shop or summit? just incase i have a problem with it. thanks guys
Justin

------------------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 00, 01:59 AM
Senior Tech

My Edelbrock carb w/ Performer RPM manifold and drop-base 3" air cleaner fits with at least 3/4" clearance under my stock hood. I ordered my stuff from Summit. I had to return a set of headers once, and I had no problem. I try to support the local shops for labor and small parts when I can, but the price difference is just too big on the big ticket items. Steve Laabs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 00, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech

I would buy things like carbs, ignition, headers and braided line locally if the price is somewhat reasonable. These parts have just enough problems to justify the extra expense.

Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode