supercharger - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

i have a 95 v6 camaro. 95 grand prix gtps have the same engine with 50 more horsepower. do they have a supercharger and could i put it and the gp's computer on my camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Send a message via AIM to DanCamm
Don't know about the computer swap, but check into the aftermarket superchargers....I think ATI makes one for your ride...you would get better performance than the stock GM/Pontiac blower, and they should have everything you need for the conversion....I think it is ATI, but not sure....check Vortech and Whipple also....

------------------
Dan Camm
1969 Daytona Yellow RS/SS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech

It is definately an ATI procharger and they can give any where from 50-100% more power. I have a friend who has a mustang that was putting out 330hp and now with the procharger he is making 600hp at the fly wheel and 550 at the rear wheels!! He runs 12lbs of boost.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Check with Powerdyne superchargers, that's what I have on my 93 Indy Pace Car. It's a safe amount of boost(4.5 lbs) so you can drive the car every day and not worry about it.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you were to try and use the GM supercharged V6 and want to remain emissions legal you need to check with your local DMV office to verify if the swap is legal. Also you will need to check and see if the engine and supercharger package will physically fit in the engine compartment. The Grand Prix is a front-driver with an east-west engine placement and the blower may not be mounted in a position to fit in the f-body chassis.

I wouldn't sell the GM/Eaton blower too short. Here's a company that runs two of them on a racing marine engine http://www.falconerengines.com/prod02.htm I had a chance to see this engine during blower fitment and it's killer. Roush is also running the Eaton blower on their new Mustang, and Lingenfelter is now endorsing them. There's also a few very trick new systems that will be available for the aftermarket that will be introduced at SEMA this year.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 06-27-2001).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'd like to know what are the disadvantages to a blower other than the price. Seems like every hot rodder would have one if there weren't some down sides.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Don

The main disadvantage that I know of is that a blower usually uses a belt system to make more power. When using a belt you usually lose 10 to 15 percent less power, that's why a turbo or twin turbo's are more efficent but also more expensive. A turbo just uses the exhaust gas itself to make more power so the only power lose is under 5 percent because of the small amount of backpressure it creates.
Hope this helps,
Donnie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

HEAT/COOLING
also I belive superchagers have better throttle responce(all from what I'v read)
------------------
camaro's for ever!!!
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my 70 454 camaro

[This message has been edited by 4 speed (edited 06-27-2001).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yes, you're right, superchargers do have slightly better throttle response then turbos because a supercharger is always going and a (well built or twin) turbo takes like .01 of a second to spool up but once it does LOOK OUT!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech

the grand prix gtp has a dohc 3.4 litre engine. the only thing it has in common with the 3.4 in f bodies is bore and stroke.it would be kind of a neat swap into a rwd application, and i believe someone makes bellhousing adapters and what not, but that motor has no torque below about 3500 rpm. i have one in my 94 lumina 4 door, and the thing scoots. g tech told me 0-60 in 7.2, quarter mile 14.6 at 95. but it is a temperamental beast. runs good one day, lousy the next.every gm dealer tech i have talked to say they are a pain to work on and parts are spendy if something breaks.i would say if you want more power, find either a v8 or get a 3.8 out of a newer f body or grand national or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode