Roll bars / Cages - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Any thoughts on what type of bar or cage would be appropriate for my '68?

The car is powered by a 383 small block with around 450-500 horses (dyno test coming soon!) and a 700 tranny. I was thinking of putting in a bar that would allow me to keep the rear seats in there, but what do you guys think?

Would a bigger cage help with the stability of the car?

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

My 68 has a S&W cage with pro-street rear bars that allow the back seat to remain in the car. The rear bars go up and over the back seat and down through the package tray. I took it one step farther and made the cross bar removable with quick pins. My cage isn't technically NHRA legal, but it allows me to run the safer seat belt harness.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

kyle,
i also use S&W items a really like what they sell. sure a cage would stiffen up the frame, but you also gotta think what you want to use the car for. if it's for street, and you like to take people for a ride, i'd go with a roll bar and the pro street bars like torker said, but if it's all out race and limited street car, go with a cage if you'd like. also remember, it's best to mig your roll bar/ cage in your car.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

A word of advice, if installing roll bar, 6 or 8-point, might as well put in weld-in frame connectors to trianglate the car body. Take to body shop and have the present frame structure straighten, install alum body biscuits(?), and re-align front end after work.

It will definitely pay off in the end. Moroso sells a set that goes underneath the rear floor and weld-into the spring box. The rear bars can go thru the speaker holes and attach to the rear frame structure plus provide plenty of rear headroom . You don't have to worryabout rear headroom cause hopefully you'll never be there.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK cool thanks for the advice. I am still not sure whether I will go for a full 8-point cage or just a bar, I am going to have to look into what sort of rear seat set up I will have first. I have been contemplating pulling the rear seat completely, covering the area with carpet to match the rest of the interior, and mounting speakers there or something like that.

Has anyone else done this? What are some other routes to take as far as covering up the blank spot left when I take out the rear seat? I noticed lots of little screws and stuff coming out of the floor, should I just put down double insulation then carpet over that? When I end up sleeping back there (and I will) I don't want it to be too unconfortable, such as from screws and stuff poking me in the back. I may even be able to make more room by eliminating the rear seat!

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode