Radio and Speaker in a 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Question

I have an 68 convertible with factory A/C. It has the original dash speaker and it doesn't work. I want to replace it with a coaxial unit. Here is my question. How do I get to it. Nothing comes out the front and the A/C seems to block the access through the glove box. I assume I will need to remove the radio, then the ventilation contols, then the A/C vent. Kind of looks like I will be building a ship in a bottle here. Any help/advise on this operation would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 06:41 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Cool

Dave,you hit the nail on the head!It's a ship in a bottle for sure.You have the right idea about removing things.It's a lot eaiser and quicker in the long run.Good luck!

Steve
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

custom auto sound makes a really nice dual speaker set-up that fits up under the dash just like the original mono speaker....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 08:05 PM
Tech Team

I installed Pioneer 6 1/2 3way speakers in the door panels and 2 Pioneer 4X8 (I think) in the rear deck, and a jenson 525 watt sub in the trunk. (it is not a boomer, just sounds great) It was soo hard to get to the dash speaker out. thats when I decided to go with the door speakers. I found that it was worth it. ya get the larger speakers, and sterio. I would leave it alone.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I have a convertible, so there is no rear deck to put speakers in, and I hate to cut the door panels. So I guess I will start taking the dash apart. Any pointers on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping someone has done this recently.

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 07:16 AM
Tech Team

doorpanels are cheep, thats why I didnt mind cutting them. you could also put some speekers flush mount in your side/rear armreasts. that would be really easy.
and I am pretty sure if someday you wanted to part ways with the car, and someone sqalked you could replace the doorpanels for about 100bucks with new ones and the rear for not much more.
Just and Idea I spend alot of time in my 67, a sterio is very nice to have, but a Killer sounding soundsystem is way nicer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech

I have recently done what you are talking about, with removal, so I can help with any questions you have. It's not too tough. Ash tray frame out, stock radio out, disconnect the A/C control cables, and pull the vent. Pretty easy actually. In my car we just abandon the stock dash speaker. I have 3 1/2 rounds and custom made boxes inside the dash board, then Infinity 6x9's in the back, 300 watt amp pushing the 6x9's. Then 2 Pioneer Comp IMPP 10" subs in a bandpass box with an 800 watt Infinity Beta amp. The trunk is accented with 2 10" neon glow tubes, and it sounds killer. Good luck on your tear down. Feel free to ask any qustions...

------------------
Son's 67-327, Dad's twistin' wrenches again after 25 yrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode