BB frame mount help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My 1969 Camaro's 396 sets unlevel in the car. I've done some searches on here and I see that the driver side should be slightly higher for clearance purposes. My motor is so unlevel that the air cleaner won't fit into the cutout in the cowl hood. I'm having to run a 6" air cleaner that is an inch high. I have a Torker II intake and an Edelbrock carb. I bought another set of frame mounts thinking maybe I had SB mounts on the car. Well, the ones I got look exactly the same. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 05:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I have the GM frame and motor mounts on my 69 big block. The engine is slightly higher on the driver's side and offset towards the passenger side alsoas you said. On mine I fit a 14" K&N drop base filter set-up on it. It would hit the passenger rear side of the cowl induction hole so I used some 1/4" all thread and bent a slight "Z" to it and used a 1/4" nut to hold it on the carb. The "Z" moved the lid over just enough to fit it inside the hole in the hood. I only needed to move the air cleaner lid 1/8-3/16" or so to clear. I am currently putting on a shorter intake to solve the problem.

Jody
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

I had to do what Jody did with my 396. Other than that it fits fine.
How high is your manifold?

joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
William

There are 2 styles of bb frame bracket: 67-68 and 69. The 67-68 bracket is designed to use the non-interlock motor mount, 69 uses the interlock motor mount. The non-interlock mount is wider and thinner than the interlock mount, thus the 69 frame brackets are shorter and narrower than 67-68. The non-interlock mount unfortunately fits the 69 brackets. It will be a sloppy fit and the motor will be too low.

Confusing the issue, some replacement 67-8 mounts now have the interlock feature.

If the motor mounts are about 3/8" wider than the brackets they are incorrect. The correct mount is a tight fit on the bracket. If not I would bet you have one sb frame bracket. I presume you have a bb trans crossmember.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm sending the new mounts I got back because they're exactly whats on the car already.
I went and measured and a 14" air cleaner goes 1-1.5" past the hood cutout. I believe these cars came with a 14" air cleaner, and I would like to get one to fit in the cowl hole. I've looked at alot of cars and never seen one that the motor looked so unlevel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode