69 camaro heater box BB versus SB - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 00, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi 1st gen Camaro enthusiasts! My question is: What is the difference between the heater box for a SB vesus a BB? Classic Industries, for example, sells both versions, so I know there is a difference. Why are there 2 heater box versions? Is it a hose clearance problem? If my car had a SB heater box version, can I use it with a BB? For example, I think my car originally had a 350 SB. But now it has a 396 BB from a 66-68 Chevelle. The heater is not connected at the moment. (The previous owner only want "go"...) Can I hook it up no matter what version it is? Thanks. Hope I can help you guys some day.

Bye.
69Camaro guy with a 396 SS with Edelbrock RPM intake and Edelbrock 1411 Performer carb with electric choke, HEI distributor, 1-7/8" headers into 2-1/2" dual exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 00, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech

The inlet and outlet location on a B/B heater box is in the center of the box instead of the end.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 00, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech

Jmar, as the earlier post states, the BB heater box has the inlet/outlet in the center of the box. This was done for clearance due to the BB being wider. If you're on a budget you can take the SB heater box and "carefully" cut out the holes for the new openings. Some of the SB heater boxes I've seen actually have an indentation where the ports are to be. It would also be a good idea to buy or make the reinforcement plate that installs over the ports.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 00, 07:20 AM
Tech Team

You can hook up your heater with the small block outlets, but it is tight back there, and there is a good chance of the engine hitting the hoses and breaking the heater core. The big block cars use a different heater core with longer inlet/outlet tubes and the core is flipped 180 degrees so the hoses go into the actual core cover, instead of next to the cover on the small block. If you are bucks up, it looks nice to have the factory style stuff but its not needed. First you will need to get longer tubes put on your heater core, a radiator shop can do this. Then install it flipped 180 deg in the car with the cover off, mark where the tubes will come though the cover and cut the holes. Put a small plate over where the old firewall holes are, and install the cover. This works fine. Make sure your core is good before changing the tubes, if you need a new one just buy the BB core to start with.

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Dear Tech Forum:
Thanks for the great feedback on SB versus BB heater cores! It really helps to talk to people who have previous experience with tech issues. You have my sincere thanks. I especially liked the suggestions on how to use a SB heater core with a BB. That is definitely an option I will consider. My sincere thanks.
Jim w/69Camaro BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode