Mufflers - one more time... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 00, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Still thrashing through the choices for an exhaust system for my '69 /400 SB. Since my car is lowered and has a 9" rear - the pre-bent systems like American Thunder most likely won't fit over the axle housing. So I'm looking at a shop-built system - but it all comes down again to muffler choice.

I'm just looking for the usual - good power, muscle car tone, but not TOO loud and no Flowmaster type resonance.

The local shops are pushing "MagnaFlow mufflers" as the latest and greatest. They are a straight through (as in drop a tennis ball clear thru) fully welded design with SS wool packing - they claim they are reasonably quiet but very free flowing. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Second choice seems to be something called "Iron Tuff" which is a generic clone of the 3 chamber variety. ??????

Any comments and/or advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 07:40 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Wink

i know you want to stay away from flowmasters,but have you seen or heard the bigblock series ? see if you can find someone who does,i think you'll like...not like the flowmasters most people run.

------------------
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/
68 Camaro
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 08:22 AM
Tech Team

Flowmaster has a new series called Delta-Flow which is supposed to eliminate that annoying resonance. I think they come in 2 varieties as well, aggressive and mellow.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 03:38 PM
Z1

Hello! I bought a set of Walker Dyno Max(2.5 inch) for my 69 Z/28.The car is still under restoration,however I did have a set on my '88 5.0 Mustang and found the sound nice and deep and not loud at all.I recomend them. Laurence Potter
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 04:17 AM
Tech Team

i would check with a bunch of the local muffler shops, ask em what sounds great, ask em what they have on their car , some of them guys are real fanatics for their trade and would love to help (espicaly on a classic camaro, they hate rice rides too)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 04:50 PM

I put the Flowtech MagnaFlows on my convertible. We could only fit 2.5" tubing and I think it sounds great. I have a 454 in it and it does not have the tinny sound that the Flowmasters have. It is fairly loud though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I don't have a muffler recomendation but I do highly recomment T/A Performance mandrel bent exaust systems. They have 2.5 and 3 inch systems bent awesome, I have the 3" system on my 67, I also have a 9" rear, it fits perfect and tucks tight all the way up and over. They are located in Scottsdale, AZ they advertise in the back of Hot Rod, Car Craft mags. Kind of pricey but well worth it. And just so you know Big Block Flowmasters will not fit in a Camaro.

------------------
67 410sb 11.76 @116.6
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I settled on the MagnaFlows with a 2-1/2" aluminized system bent at the local shop. It has an H pipe and the tailpipes exit out the rear outside of the rear springs. Looks good - sounds great! A little on the loud side when accelerating but it quiets down when you hold the RPMs steady. Shawn Peterson got basically the same layout but with Dynomax mufflers. His sounds good but may be just a little on the quiet side.

Lonnie - tell me a little about your 400SB - must be fairly stout to run in the 11's!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 11:35 AM
Tech Team

Cool

I hate the sound of some Flowmaster mufflers too, but I'm running the 50 series three-chamber design (part #42551) and they sound great. My dad's car has the 2 chamber design and it sounds like two tin cans under his car. Mine has a very deep sound and no "whistling". Usually one of the first things people compliment my car on is its sound. Just my 2 cents.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

Me like my Dynomax mooflers. WOOF WOOF, VROOM, VROOM.

(Scott's just jealous because The Green Meanie is quicker...)

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 05:36 PM

I have a 68 ss with a 560 hp 454 in it and am running magnaflow mufflers with 2.5 inch exhaust that dumps behind the rear wheels. The car has a great sound and not obnoxisouly loud like some of the flowmasters. I doesn't have the resonance problem and won't drive you out of the car while at cruise speed. It does have a very stout report though when you wing the throttle in neutral. I am very happy with this exhaust system.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Check out the comments on Performance section...Best exaust I have found....not to sound like a broken record but I just love my system..

Just a thought...500+ hp engines need 3 inch pipes...2 1/2 seems too me would be too small. Just my thought.

Lets that baby breath! Lets some fire blast out of that pipe!!

Nothing like watching a high HP car let up off the throttle and hear and see that flame pop!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Toby T.,

My car made 438 rear wheel horsepower (just over 500 hp at the flywheel assuming 15% drivetrain losses) with:

1> 1 1/2 SMALL tube Hooker headers, and

2> a full exit-under-the-rear-bumper-in-the-stock-location 2 1/2 inch exhaust system.

As with cams and carbs, bigger exhaust pipes are not always better. Just like with the intake tract, the exhaust tract needs to maintain a certain level of velocity thru it in order to be efficient. Mismatching header tube size to the engine combination SLOWS exhaust flow and can cost low RPM torque. Also, larger pipes create more exhaust noise.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 04-06-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode