3 inch or 2 1/2 inch exaust system, HELP!!?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I cannot make up my mind. I just installed a 500hp BB. At the moment I have a 2 1/2 inch exaust system, and was going to get a 3 inch system with new mufflers. This will cost me about $400 out the door, plus the cost of the mufflers I bring. I'm starting to think this 3 inch system is over rated, and I should just keep the 2 1/2 inch system I have on their now and save some money. This way I can do other things on the car that need to be done.

Their is nothing wrong with the system I have now, and noise I like, does not bother me.

Am I loosing a lot of horsepower with a 2 1/2 inch system.

What's the opinion poll, 2 1/2 or three inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

You would probably gain more power from a professional tuning than from the switch to 3" exhaust. If your 2-1/2" system is mandrel bent, then you should be in good shape. You might be losing a couple of hp in the upper rpm range, but unless you're racing on a regular basis, you won't notice it. You're probably better off spending the money on a dyno tune which could uncover a lot more missing hp.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with Jeff. I am running small tube headers with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe on my 500hp supercharged small block.

Take your car to Team Dynotech in Garland and tune it on their chassis dyno. It will cost $100 or so for a couple of hours and you will be glad you spent the $$. I got 10 hp (while tuning for the unblown baseline) from a simple jet change.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 11:26 AM

Definately agree with the other two posts. Spend the money on tuning the motor and also the suspension. You can get a lot more bang for your buck by tuning the engine on a dyno. But also you can see considerable gains by tuning your suspension to go along with all that new power. Remember, power aint worth nothing unless you can put it to the pavement.Just my two cents Good Luck
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

When Mark Stielow built that latest Thrasher Camaro he tried to fit a 3" system in all the way back. He couldn't get it over the axle so he dropped to 2-1/2" from the mufflers back. That seems like a waste to me. Maybe you could get 3" all the way with that FlowTech oval pipe?

However, I would agree with the other posts. 2-1/2" should be just fine for the street - if anything it may generate a little more low end torque which is not usually a bad thing. I'd save your money for tires!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech

Rockymountain hit ut on the head from what I've been told by several reputable engine builders. You will gain hp at high rpms with 3" exhaust, but will lose some of the low rpm torque. I was considering the purchase of 3" setup awhile back but was told by everyone that unless I plan on doing all-out racing, the 3" is overkill.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Well, considering I have plenty of low end torque, it's already been dynoed and tuned to guys. It produced 512 hp and over 500 lbs. of torque from 2200 throught 6000. Thats a lot ot torque. So I'm okay on that deal. So maybe I should just get form the header back and dump the pipes right over the axle. kinda like a Nova.

I think I can sacrifice some low end torque.

Whatcha think????
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If you're set on a dual 3" system, check with Torque Tech and TA Performance, they both offer 3" mandrel bent dual exhaust that exit in the stock location. It's a little pricey, but if you've laready spent the $$$ on the motor, why skimp now? I've seen and hear the Torque Tech 3" with Dynomax Super Turbos on a 68 big block running the 11's and it looked great and sounded awesome.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 01:35 PM

You should be able to find a place to do it for less than that. In addition to the extra torque, it sounds ALOT more throaty. Don't cut corners to save money though, if it's not FULL 3", then don't bother.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

I put a 3" system on my 68 and it goes over the axle and fits great incase you're wanting to know if it does fit.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 11:21 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I also have a 3" system. It's from TA performance, it tucks up really nice and fits perfect. It is kinda expensive, about $330 plus shipping, or in my case, tax. 2.5 will rob HP from a 500 HP engine, sounds like you want 3" anyway.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 00, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I have Stielows old 67 Red Witch and it has 3" all the way back, but it also has a fuel cell and has had the inner wheelhouses moved in 2". With the Mods that he did to it the 3" fits great . It took him 2 weeks to do the exhaust on mine. If he can't make 3" fit on the 69 it's not for lack of trying.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 00, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

Clill, you own the "red witch"? How's that car doing, what engine is in it now, do you drive it much? I always loved that car.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 00, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Mark... Yes I own it. I drive the crap out of it. Of the Camaro's I have it is by far my favorite. It has the Trick Flow 532" aluminum engine that Mark drove on the Power Tour with. It gets about 15 mpg with AC. I had it at a show a couple weeks ago and they had a Free Chassis Dyno set up, made 468 hp to the ground on 92 Octane. My ZL1 is a Slug by comparison.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 00, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

What cars are in your collection? What type of suspension is on the red witch, I can't find my old Hot Rod mag that fetured the car. Also what type of transmission is in the car? When Stielow raced it on the One lap of America, what was it's top speed on the big ovals? I remember seeing the car for sale several years ago but I don't remember where, I think it was either the GoodGuys Gazzette or the Old Car Auto Trader, was it in one of those? Can you pretty much kill a Viper in all aspects of performance, I love the idea of an 1st gen Camaro being able to compete with modern super cars. Just very curious, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode