getting the fuel tank straps around the tank. HOW!? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

as you may or may not have read before about my fuel system replacement in my 69 camaro.

i finally got the lines in without undoing the subframe.

now, im having trouble getting the tank in.
im using a new tank, new lines, new straps, antisqueek stuff, new sending unit. all ive got left is getting the tank IN. fits great. but icant mount it. and im definately not going to get the anti squeek stuff in while doing it at this rate. tell me everystep please. treat me like a retard because this is my first work, on my first firstgen. thanks

[This message has been edited by snflupigus (edited 06-29-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

just did mine...attach the back of the straps to the car first straps, if your looking from the back of the car to the front the back of the strap would be more under the car rather than by the rear bumper. next use a floor jack and put a small piece of wood on it. use this to jack up the tank up under the car(considering all connections are made under the tank). when tank is far enough under car move the front of your straps into position and tighten...

this might sound crazy put thats how i did it and it worked great! im sure others will have different ways (easier ways) but this is what worked for me..hoped this helped.

john
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 03:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Thats the way that I did mine!

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 04:15 PM

These guys are more clever than me. When I did mine in my '67, me and a buddy just laid on our backs while one held the tank up and the other connected the front of the straps.

I will say that it might help a bit to get the bend in the strap started before you hook up the back side so that it will fit inside the rear end. My straps were from Classic Industries, and they weren't exactly perfect when I got them, so we bent the end around where it starts heading upward. Once you can get it on the bolt, it will form right as long as the bend isn't too extreme.

--Brad
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

you see, there is my problem, i cant get the straps to the rear bolt next to the bumper.

i can get the tank up, and the fronts are already in and done, then when i try to bend the straps around to the rear bolts, i cant get them to read the bolts to get them on.

do i need to conform them to the tank before installation?

O, and btw, i have access to a full shop, i am using a lift and a tranny jack. so i know how to get it up. its connecting the straps thats the problem.

[This message has been edited by snflupigus (edited 06-29-2001).]
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

ok..well..i would say, just as a precaution to be sure the straps are the correct ones. i got mine form year one and the were prefect. if the staps cant be "manipulated" in to place you might think about getting new ones,if you do then i suggest year one. this might save you from potentially damaging the tank, and the rear bolts. the bolts look like hell the replace. hope i helped

john
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well, im pretty sure they are the right ones, but, they are just so straight, and they have a crease bent into the strap so that you cant bend it very easily at all. im going to take the straps off and bend them to conform to the tank on thurs, then try and put it in, doin it bymyself probably didnt make it any easier. even with a lift and tranny jack.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
John

I reused my stock straps and it went in fairly easy. I connected the front looped part first, then sat the tank on the straps and jacked it into place (difficult because some gas was sloshing back and forth, throwing it off of the jack!). Then just slide the rears over the bolts. If it isn't working, maybe yours are too short?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 06:44 AM
Tech Team

Wink

I just put a new tank etc,etc,etc into my 68. I rested the tank on my knees and put it into place. My mother would have disowned me if she would have heard the words coming out of my mouth then. I had a little trouble getting the old straps onto the bolts. I suggest taking a piece of string and measuring the new straps and old straps to make sure they are the same length. You might want to use the same method to make sure the circumference of your new tank is the same as your old one. I could spend the rest of my life telling stories about how I tried to make the wrong part fit. Well maybe not all of the rest of my life. Good Luck.

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..." http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jgrock/1try.htm

[This message has been edited by Alberta 68RS/SS (edited 06-30-2001).]
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I got mine from Ricks, and they were straight. I spent quite a bit of time carefully bendong them to conform to the tank, while it was out. Then I used a large piece of plywood, to keep from scratching or dentong the tank, and jacked it in place with a floor jack. Getting everything in the right shape ahead of time, made the actual installation very easy.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Straight gas straps? Save yourself the pain and get the pre-bent ones.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

where do i get the prebent ones? never saw those or i would have bought them. btw, i threw away the old ones already so no use measuring them, but i got everything from ricks. so im sure they are the right ones.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 01, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

you get the correct bent one from "year one"
if you dont have a catalog.. call 1-800-year-one. just explain what you need and they will be more than happy to help. and ask for a catalog..its my bible!!

john
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 01:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Even reusing mystraps was no fun but with patience it cn be done. You will not get the antisqueek staps on until the straps are bent in the right configuration and then do it again. Maybe that's why they originally weren't on the car! Anyway, I put the ends nearest the front of the car on first, had the tank jacked into position, then got the other end onto the bolt using a long screwdriver as a 'helper', then got the nut started and it tightened up fine. Took a while and took alot of patience.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 06:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Most of the parts houses have these. I got mine from D&R. Unfortunately I just sold 2 pair on E-Bay. Had a used set that sold for $1.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode