Team Camaro Tech banner

Steering column

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  67stock 
#1 ·
Tell me about this dang column. I just fixed all me rattles except for 2 one on the dash while driving and this dang column while idleing. Is there something that should be replaced on it? I think it might not be in right too cause I can move it about an inch or maybe a half inch up and down.

Up no noise resting normal and a vibration.

#2 ·
You should not have any up/down movement of the steering column. There are two bolts that fix the column to the dash right where the column rest against the underside of the dash. If those are tight, you probably have something else internally wrong. I'd fix this problem before driving the car any further.

------------------
George Thomas
1969 Camaro Z28 X77
http://members.aol.com/gthomas917/private/gt.htm

#5 ·
When I push on the top of the steering wheel it will go up about a half inch. really annoying when it sqeeks at a light too. I might just bust out the vasoline. It the whole column that moves not the insides.

It could probly use a rebuild though any pointers on how to do it?

#6 ·
I had a similar problem. Make sure the column bracket attatches to the studs of the bracket support. The bracket support also has to be attatched to the firewall, it's right behind the speedo. Get a Factory Assembly Manual if you really want to see how it goes together.

Max

#7 ·
There are actually 3 bolts that secure the steering column. there are two about midway downt the shaft as well as one frather to the back on the right hand side. I have a 67 convert and recently replaced the instrument cluster. The steering column had to be lowered. YOu rattle may be coming from the loose bracket in the back. While making sure this last bolt is tight I dont believe it will take care of that much play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.