68 Camaro Keeps cutting out??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Took my car to my buddies shop to weld the subrame plates 100 miles round trip.. Everything went well on the way down but on the way home approx 20 miles out the car starts to cut out like it's running out of gas..I feather the throttle and pull over to break down lane...The car stalls..I restart no problem take off hit 4th running strong and smooth but 2 minutes later the same thing..I let it die restart and all over again..I pull of the highway to make sure I have gas(just in case the guage is messed up)fill it($10)..wasn't out of gas..pull out of the station running fine hit the highway hit 4th and approx 60MPH the car does it again..I pull over and restart(It restarts right away and revs clean) right away)..and start out..at 50mph I was able to drive 5 miles without it stalling...When I got off my exit it ran fine even in high revs...But when I GOT BACK ON THE HIGHWAY SAME THING...any ideas

It feels like it was running out of gas...Thought It might be the fuel pump Mechanical...But pumps fine..Checked the floats and they were about 1/4" under the sight hole(I usualy adjust them so they are even with the sight hole....Any thoughts ..Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:58 PM

Sounds like vapor lock if you believe in such things, maybe you could put a clothes pin on the fuel line LOL. Do you have any rubber fuel hose in the system, I have seen them get a little old and suck shut when the fuel demand is high. I have also seen points to close and ignition mods. getting hot and act that way also. Good luck, Danny

------------------
I didn't build it, I didn't break it so lighten up, I'm just trying to fix it

[This message has been edited by Midnightblue69 (edited 06-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Midnightblue69 (edited 06-29-2001).]
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 03:28 PM
Tech Team

you mention that you where welding just before this happened like the gentlemen before mentioned do you have any rubber line and did it get melted during the job?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech

i had the same thing in my nova last year when i put in my 400 horse 355. had me stumped for a few days. turns out the fuel line got bent a little where it comes out of the frame next to the fuel pump, and stretched the rubber fuel line, causing it to kink shut under sustained highway rpm's.bent the line about a half inch, and not a problem since.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well checked the fuel line..Get this not one clamp..I mean I have 6" of fuel line between the gas tank fuel line and the pump...No clamps just pushed on....Then I have 4 ft of fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb...Again no clamps(good protects the very stupid I guess)..No clamps and no leaks...Well I can see the reason why such a long run on the pump to carb, considering the line goes from the pump to the battery tray (under the lower rad hose) then up over the heater hoses to the holley....There must be an easier way...Need to get the correct fuel pump(Holley in there now) and the correct pump to carb line...Just not sure if they make a line for my holley(did they have a 68 camaro with a 327 4 speed w/ac and a 4 brl holley..Any help or thoughts on where I can get the parts...Thanks again guys
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

If you are running with with a points distributor, sometimes the condenser can go bad and the car will run short periods of time and cut off ( usually when you are coasting or idling ) ... If you don't find a fuel problem, try a new set of points...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I used to have an old Ford with a 460 that did that. It turned out to be a bad pick-up coil in the distributor. If you have an HEI it might be worth checking.

If your welding buddy used a stick welder and grounded to the frame - maybe something electronic took a hit.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Seem to keep losing my posts
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I thought about the distributor..But it has been changed to a pointless distributor. (MSD box and super coil on the fender well)
But I ruled that out based on the fact that it is not responding to revs..I mean if I get on it while getting on the highway the car runs smooth.(the slower I go the longer the car runs without any problem)...Then after a few minutes the car starts to act like its running out of gas...I let it die throw it in gear starts right up and goes fine for a few minutes..Then same thing...I figured if it was bad distributor it would act up on revs..I drove it for 5 miles back roads with no problem as soon as I got on the highway after a brief run the car did it all over again...Am I right in ruling out the distributor...

Also anyone have any Idea how I can find out what type of distributor cap I have on the car now..I WANT TO REPLACE IT BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO BUY..I know it ain't the correct one because there is no access hole for the points...Any thoughts..Thanks
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 01, 06:23 PM
Tech Team

I had the same stalling situation (almost exactly as yours) with an old ford truck. It turned out to be the filter. As far as the distributor cap I have seen new ones without the whole.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 12:17 PM

I HAVE A 68 CAMARO. HAD THIS CAR FOR OVER 10yr.REDONE IT IN 93.PUT 7 CARBS ON CAR AND REBUILT HOW MANY TIMES? STARTED DOING THE FLOOR PANS AND TRUNK PAN.TOOK OFF THE TANK AND FOUND GRAVEL IN IT.STILL WONDERING WHO I MADE MAD.THERE WAS ONLY 7 OR 8 ROCKS IN THERE BUT HOW MUCH MUD.WHEN I GET IT TOGETHER IF IT RUNS GOOD I WILL LET YOU KNOW.IF NOT I WILL PUT THE ROCKS BACK IN.
SEE"YA!!! CAMARODAN
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

My buddy (one of the most knowledgeable speed shop countermen of all time) has told me to disconnect my MSD box from the car and even remove it entirely prior to doing any arc or mig welding. Those MSD boxes are great!! but why do the NASCAR guys run 2??? I'll bet you damaged the box when you welded
I'd jump around the box and see what you got
Good luck
John
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I thought of that to...But I keep ruling out the ignition system(distributor)..based on the fact that it is not sensitive to revs or heat( I drove it 40 miles after the welding before anything happened)...Seems to only show it's face when on the highway...If I'm tooling around town "No problem"..I get on the highway reving it through the gears up to speed.. goes fine...As soon as I drive about 1-2 minutes(on highway) it starts to act like it's running out of gas(hesitating and slowing down)..I pull over it dies..Hit the key starts right up..Take off..No problem..The slower I go the longer it takes to show its head...I have also noticed if it starts to happen..I shut it down pop the clutch and it back to normal again...for another few minutes.....Do you guys still think I should go through the distributor and MSD box...(Don't have the slightest Idea how those multiple discharge boxes work)....Any ways I'm still leaning toward the fuel system ..what do you guys think...Thanks in advance
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Are you sure that your MSD doesn't have a rev limiter or some type of ignition interrupt circuitry ??? If you fuel flow was restricted, it would seem that your ability to accelerate and go fast ( even for a short while ) would also be restricted ... unless you have a electric fuel pump that's malfunctioning ... Anyway, we are all anxious to hear the solution once you find it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 01, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
frank

If you didnt disconnect both battery cables when you welded, I would be looking at substituting out the ignition parts. Welding and electronics dont mix. Good luck, my .02 cents worth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode