disc brake swap - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

i was in another site and someone said that they swapped there drum brakes and installed a dics brake setup from a 74 monte carlo in there 1st generation camaro without having to do any modifications. i thought this could not be done with this type of donor car ?
can anyone tell me what donor cars can be used to do a disc brake swap for my 69 camaro ? i know firebirds,nova's,can be used, but monte carlos's ???
thanks,
bruce69camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech

I installed brakes from a 71 Monte Carlo on my 67 convert. It was a direct bolt in swap. However if you do it, you must switch the steering arm attached to the drum from the camaro to the new disk setup, but this is easy. Look deeper into the older post and you will find several post which state which cars can be used, there are quite a few. I know there is at least one post which list all the cars, thats where I found out which one to use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 02:10 PM
Tech Team

The only monte carlos you can use as donor cars are 70-72, later ones have a taller spindle. As prev stated, if you go with the monte brakes (or any other pre 73 A body, chevelle, lemans, skylark, cutlass) you will need to use your drum brake steering arms, as you have rear steer linkage and the A bodies are front steer. Not a hassle, only 2 bolts hold em on.

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 04:17 PM

You can use any X-body car for the disc brake set up , these include novas pontiac venturas, buick appolos etc. They are direct bolt on parts as far as I know. Dependin on where you stay, they should be fairly plentiful in the wrecking yards.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 11:33 AM

I just finished putting power disk brakes into my 68 conv. from a 74 nova. It has gone very slick. Everything switched right over and I only paid $150 for the entire nova. I had the rotors turned, put in new pads, new hoses and thats it..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech

The X-body (Nova) will only work through 1974. After that they use the same chassis as second generation Camaro's. If you look at the frame of a 75 and newer X-body you will notice that the steering box is located in the front of the subframe crossmember. These cars have a front brakes which will not interchange into a first generation camaro without using tubular control arms.

Steve R.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've heard that the later spindles will work of you swap them side for side and bolt on the original steering arms, anyone know the truth? And what's this about taller spindles? Isn't this the fix for our camber curve problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode