Alternative seats for a 1st Gen car ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Seats seem to a valid topic lately, so I've got a question. Has anybody found a seat from some other car that fit's a 1st gen camaro relatively well? I've been researching what it will cost me to re-cover and re-foam all the seats in my 69, and it looks like it's going to be in the neighborhood of $650+ for the whole job. I'm starting to think it would make more sense to get some late model seats that have good lateral support and side cushions and use those instead. The thought of spending that kind of money to re-build seats that weren't all that great to begin with seems silly, especially considering the emphasis on cornering and pro-touring now days. So.... Has anyone found a seat that is relatively easy to modify for a good fit? I'm not talking about Recaro or Simpson racing seats, just something confortable and reasonable such as a later model Camaro or a Cavalier Z24 etc...

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 09:07 AM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

I used a pair of buckets from Eagle Talon/Mitsu-Eclipse...look, fit and feel great. bought them from wrecking yard $250. for pair.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech

Emmett - how did you mount the seats?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 05:31 PM

Wink

Well I can personally tell you the 1968 camaro bucket seats bolt right in the Chevelle but I guess that would be no help Maybe vice versa work???
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 05:15 AM

Shawn,

I am looking at getting some Corbeau seats. They have several different models from racing to standard type replacements and seat brackets for the Camaro. Check their web site at www.corbeau.com

Kent
67 SS 427
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 07:25 AM

I looked into putting seats from a newer Camaro or Firechicken into my '69 Z. The newer seats were almost 2 inches taller in the back rest area, which made them look sorta funny inside my car. After looking at the time required to alter the seat mounts or my car's floor, I passed on the idea. Instead, I spent the money to have mine redone. I didn't just do a recover though. I had the stock seats extra padded, especially at the bottom-seat front and sides. This gave it a more contured look, plus it fits my frame a lot better. Plus, I had them done in leather with velour centers. They look awesome and feel good too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 11:09 AM
Tech Team

Been awile but here goes. had to redrill front holes approx. 2" behind exsisting holes then installed nutserts into floor pan real neat and clean. note: remove the shoulder harness guides on top and in crotch of seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode