What 69's had a black tail light panel? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

I was just looking through a few magazines and noticed some cars have a black tail light panel. did all cars have this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

BIG Block SS cars were the ones with the black tail panels EXCEPT for a few colors including Burnished brown, Dusk blue, Fathom Green, and Burgandy (MCCORRY, SOUND FAMILIAR???).

ZL1's and Z11's didn't have them either.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-18-2000).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech

Right on! Big Block ('69 SS 396) were painted black.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

I thought all 69 SS396 cars had tail panels painted satin black. When the base package (X66) 396 was ordered the body sills on colors 51, 57, 61 & 67 were not painted black. I have seen a fathom green and a dusk blue 396 car with the painted rear panel (I'm very sure the fathom green car was original paint).

------------------
1969 LA Z28 - 42k miles - PoP & build sheet - original drivetrain(DZ/M21/BV), paint(57 57) & interior(723).
1967 v-8 base coupe, three on the tree, 87k.

[This message has been edited by Ed Ernst (edited 10-18-2000).]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

Here is an excerpt from CRG.ORG website on this issue:

Q: Is it true that black-out paint was applied by the factory, and if so, for what models?

A: Certain first-generation Camaro models had semi-gloss black-out paint applied to the body to influence the appearance. There were two types, a "ground-effect" black-out applied to the rocker-panel/body-sill area for certain exterior trim options, and a blacked-out tailpan applied to SS-396 cars.

Body sill black-out paint was applied to Z22 cars in 1967, to Z21 and Z22 cars in 1968, and to Z21, Z22, Z27, and COPO cars
in 1969. But there were several body colors that were simply just too dark for this paint scheme to be effective, and for these colors (more below) the body sill black-out paint was omitted. Additionally, it was omitted for special models like the 1969 Z11 Indy Pace Car convertible trim package and the Z10 Indy Pace Car coupe trim package. A Chevrolet Product Bulletin dated 2-4-69 describes the Z11 (Pace Car trim package) package and includes this instruction: "Body sill to be painted white instead of black." Although no instructions have been found for the Z10 coupe, it would be natural for this same philosophy to have been followed.

There was also a paint color exception for the SS-396 tailpan black-out, but as far as we can tell, it was limited to black
vehicles; in other words, only black (and special models like Z11 and Z10) SS-396 cars did not receive the (semi-gloss)
blacked-out tailpans.

The CRG will continue to follow this topic and provide more detail with better substantiation as the information becomes
available.

The 1967 and 1969 body sill paint codes that did not receive black-out paint (supported by GM documentation - except see
note on 1969 #10 Tuxedo Black) are:

----
AA Tuxedo Black
EE Deepwater (Dark) Blue
LL Tahoe Turquoise
MM Royal Plum
NN Madeira Maroon

----
10 Tuxedo Black*
51 Dusk (Dark) Blue
57 Fathom (Dark) Green
61 Burnished (Dark) Brown
67 Burgundy (Maroon)

--------
* We have not found GM documentation
for the 1969 Tuxedo Black body sill
exception. However we believe it
followed the pattern of previous years,
and the few original 1969 cars we
have found appear to bear this out.

GM documentation specifically listing the excepted body sill colors for 1968 has not yet been found, however, the CRG
believes the excepted colors were the following:

----
AA Tuxedo Black (discontinued Jan 68)
EE Fathom (Dark) Blue (discontinued Jan 68)
NN Cordovan Maroon
VV Sequoia Green
ZZ British Green (new as of Jan 68)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I also recall seeing a Fathom green SS396 not too long ago w/ a black tail pan (I think it was a survivor car also...).

Was there any definitive findings on this topic by the CRG...or is it still ongoing?

Steve

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 10-18-2000).]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 00, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

MCCORRY,

CRG has definite documentation on the 67's and 69's with the exceptions noted. They DON'T however have documentation on the 68's as stated BUT they beleive that they have the correct exceptions for 68.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 12, 06:13 AM
Tech Team
Anthony

Re: What 69's had a black tail light panel?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here on this forum and am looking for clarification on exactly how the rear panel should be taped to paint black. I've seen some cars taped from the corners of the trunk diagonally out to the part where the trunk edges meet the rear panel and on others I've seen it painted following the seams of the panel (curving along under the trunk). My car I feel is in very good condition, but the previous owner painted the black and taped along the top edge of the tail light panel. I believe the black should be applied not only on the vertical part of the tail light panel but up into the trunk as well. Can anyone confirm and clarify the correct way to paint these panels. Pictures would be great. Thanks in advance
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 12, 08:37 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Diagonal & it goes under the trunk rubber & continues onto the lip that holds the seal. It does not follow the seam...Joe
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 12, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Anthony

Excellent. Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode