Console Low Fuel Warning Light? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 00, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've been wondering about the purpose and the intended location of an strange black lightbulb fixture beneath gauge cluster in the console of my '68. It shares wiring from the console harness and appears to serve as the circuitry for the low fuel light in the dash (both light simultaneously). The light bulb in this fixture seems redundant. What's also odd is that it seems GM designed the black plastic case to snap somewhere into the console gauge assembly, but I don't see where. The factory assembly manual has been no help. Any ideas where this thing goes? I just hate to leave it hanging there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 00, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I also have the low fuel light circuitry that you are talking about. I found that if you put a bulb in it...it will light on low a low fuel condition...just like the idiot light. I think it may be to illuminate the console guage more to draw attention?

I just pulled the bulb on mine....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 04:58 AM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

I HAVE A TIC TOC TACH FOR MY 68 CAMARO AND I,D LIKE TO HOOK UP THE LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT. IS THERE A WAY TO HOOK THAT LIGHT UP WITHOUT USING THE FACTORY GUAGES AND USING AN AUTO METER GUAGE?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Lightbulb

I've found that Classic Industries sells a "Low Fuel Warning Module" on pg. 77 in their latest Camaro catalog.

CJ, you might be able to adapt this module to work with an aftermarket gauge.

A possible answer to my question I posed earlier: the light bulb in the factory low fuel module may have been a pre-production design meant to fit into a different gauge bezel than was actually used. The bezel may have changed without changes made to the module. Factory assembly workers, not having a place to snap this into, just dumped it into the rest of the console wiring.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech

I have a '69 and there is an idiot light build into the pod that houses the tach and speedometer. It is on the same line as the indicator for the turn signal that lights up.. I wired my low fuel indicator so that it would light this panel when the low fuel situation occurs. I do not know if '67 or'68 have that option.. Good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

CJ
Adapting the module should be a snap if you are still using the factory sending unit. You will need to translate the wiring diagram supplied with the module to your gauge, but it's really pretty simple. If your console wiring harness does not have the wire from the module to the idiot light, you can easily fabricate one by using a junkyard dash harness to plug into the factory pin location on the main dash cluster plug. Just backtrack the circuit on the back of the gauge cluster to the plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode