small-block crankshaft puzzle - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was looking through some of last year's issues of CAR CRAFT and found a chart for identifying cranks by the shape of their endpiece(or whatever it's called). I found that the endpiece of my 350's crank matches the 400 piece on the chart. I was excited, thinking I had a stroker and didn't know it. When I measured the stroke as best I could (the bottom end is assembled), I got very close to 3.5 inches. What's going on? Could the endpieces have been switched somehow? Or is the chart in CAR CRAFT incorrect? My 350 rebuild pistons fit just fine and there is no valve-piston interference when I turn it over. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 02:50 PM
Bill

Shine,
350 and 400 cranks look basically the same on the flywheel end. I have not seen the chart you mentioned, but the best way to id a crankshaft is to use the casting number or measure the stroke like you did. Yours is either a 350 or 305 crank. I bet the casting number ends in 442.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:10 PM

Don't put too much faith in that article. I have the same mag and just for the heck of it took it out to my shop and checked the end-piece photo with my 383 crank. My crank IS a 400 but the picture said it was a 350! Don't know what the problem is with that article but in my case it just isn't right.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 06:36 PM

Smile

I gotta feeling that was the crank article that they came back the next month or two later and said "Oops", we got the wrong crank ends pictured if I remember right and reprinted the correct ones. pdq67

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 10:58 PM

If your stroke is close to 3.5" (3.48") and you have a 4" bore then it's a 350, no matter what flange is on the end of the crank or what Car Craft says.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech

305 and 350's have the same stroke. I seen that book as well but have made that same mistake with the 400's. The only way I can tell now is if the balancer is on it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys. I guess the chart is just incorrect. The funny thing is, the chart I was looking at is the reprinted, supposedly "corrected" version! Oh well, nobody's perfect, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode