Lowered cars and muffler clearance?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just visited my friendly local muffler shop to discuss a new exhaust system for my '69. Since it's lowered 2" the hacks there said I could only fit small-case 2" mufflers without ripping them off the car on the first road bump!! Tell me it ain't so!

I know there are at least a few of you running lowered cars and 2-1/2" or 3" systems - so - are these guys smokin' dope or just being extra careful?

I happen to have a wornout set of 2" mufflers on the car now so my own experiences don't help. I'm leaning toward Dynomax mufflers so any thoughts on these would be great.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 10:29 AM

Theres plenty of room under there. I really dont see a problem. My freinds got 68 lowered 1.5" with 2.5" pipes and Flowmasters. He has no clearance problems what so ever.
John(89 Pro Touring RS)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 10:36 AM

Cool

Hey Scott,

Thanx for the pics the car looks great with tose rims. When I first dropped in my new motor I went with a homemade pipes and mufflers exhaust. I tucked the mufflers up as far as I could, low and behold one night I hit a dip around 50 mph. and tore off one of the mufflers. I would guess are cars are similar in stance. The flowmaster system I have utilizes the space in front of the gas tank. Great system couldnt be happier not to mention I dont bottom out my mufflers any more. If you want deatailed info on the system or at least the diagram e-mail me. Sean

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

It seems like people that work on cars for a living always seem to think they know more about the kind of cars we are into. I have a 68 with a full 3" exhaust with 3 chamber flowmasters over the axle. The first place I took it to said the biggest pipe they could bend over the axle was 2.25", I did'nt even argue with the guy, I just left. I asked around for a more reputable shop and then found one that could do the job. As for a lowered car, my car is pretty low with 2" blocks in the back and lowered springs in the front, the rubber stoppers on the lower control arm are about 3/4 away from hitting the frame, so I think I need shorter stopers. Hope this helps, the 3" exhaust was a little expensive and it's pretty loud, but my car is a big block so I thought I should get the 3", if you're running a small block I would think 2.5" should be just fine.

------------------
68 468 700R4
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 10:57 AM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

Borla offers a stainless steel thin muffler with oval in/out pipes. On mine I used the 2.5" Flowmaster kit which places a single muffler in the stock location, between rear end and gas tank...very clean
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

What kind of horsepower are you guys running through the single muffler system. I think putting a single big muffler in the stock location would really clean up the bottom of the car. If they put a single muffler on the COPO cars, I would think it would work on my high hp small block.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 02:46 PM

Cool

GH,
Ive get roughly 375 to 400hp out of my small block. We must remember that the stock muffler that came off these cars are much larger than a single in/out muffler. My Flowmaster is 26 inches in total length. Still a bit loud for my own good though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

Flowmaster does make a really good system but if you want the Dynomax mufflers get them. I have them on my 68, they sound great. Like someone said, go to a good muffler shop, they should be able to handle a job like what you want no problem. If you are having trouble finding one check with some speedshops or car clubs. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

scott, i have a 69 camaro that i tubbed out and at the highest point, from the ground to the rocker panel, it's 8", and i'm going lower. i have 3" exhaust on mine and just take a look at the pro outlaw cars, there running bigger then 3" exhaust and a lot lower then mine. sounds to me that someone didn't want to do some work and earn some money.
good luck,
bruce69camaro
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Gents - Thanks for all the feedback!

I talked with another local shop that said they have a "MagnaFlow" performance muffler they put on lowered cars all the time. It's available in a 2-1/2" size with an overall thickness of about 4". It's also sort of a high tech glasspack design in stainless steel (still a "turbo" shape) so it's almost straight thru. I stopped by and listened to them on an employee's car and they have a very healthy rumble at idle and they actually get somewhat quieter as you rev the engine but still put out this great rumbly growl? sound.

I'm still interested in the transverse muffler setup though. That sounds really clean although I have some doubts about this setup being appropriate for 400-450hp. The second shop I talked with said they do these setups but don't like them because they have to really work to get all the various pipes bent and fitted right. Since I have a 9" rear I can't take advantage of the kits so I'm stuck with a custom setup. Anyhow, I should get this sorted out soon.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:36 AM
Tech Team

My Flowmaster single muff setup is on my 67'rs 520hp 383...runs great however sound is not as deep as I was looking for
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm shopping, too. not quite sure what to get, decision complicated by my convertible and its floor pan brace. The magnaflow looks good. I've been talking to a guy at Finish Line Perf, they make the repro exhausts for D&R, in 2 1/4". They also do an oem version of the magnaflow, including a 2.5" transverse. They have a 69 with a custom system (2.5" transverse magnaflow.) I tried to get in to look at it today, but it's buried behind 7 other cars and it's snowing again. I'l post what I see when I see it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode