shifter/console question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Question

I've got a '68 Camaro that has the original console and powerglide horseshoe shifter. I need to get this "set up" so I can install my th350 tranny , it's got a manual/reverse valve body. I'd like to find out what shifter I can use in this console for my application. I'd like to keep the original horeshoe but after talking to the guys at shiftworks this could get into a custom detent for my application, since I not married to keeping this original ( I'm prostreeting my beast!), I'm open to any imput. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 03:23 PM
David Pozzi

I swapped a turbo 350 for my PG in a 68 years ago.
Your shifter will work as is, it just won't be able to shift into 1st gear manually.

How important is that?
If you don't have a desire to hold it in first over the preset redline, there's no need to spend a lot of money on the shifter.

All the rest of the gears will work fine, the same as it did on the PG.

I think there might have been one hole of the lower trans cable bracket that I had to modify. I can't remember but it wasn't difficult.
I didn't have to buy any parts except a flex plate that has both converter patterns on it.

The stock one only fit the PG converter.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 02:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I used a new detent plate from Shiftworks when swapping out a PG for a 700r4. It looked to me like a person with a flat piece of steel and a little metal working ability (of which I have none) could make one himself. For your situation, it might be a matter of just grinding off the last stop for first gear (not sure). Once you see the shifter working in relation to the plate you'll relize how simple the concept is. Mine had two studs that had to be ground off to get the plate out then use short 1/4 20 nut and bolts to reinstall. Your shifter would actually work without this plate but this would be dangerous (accidentally going in reverse or park... Ouch). Anyway just a thought.

------------------
69' getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 12-29-2000).]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 04:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Since you're working with a reverse valve body, if you want to keep the stock look I would have Shiftworks build you a custom detent plate. Otherwise, check out the B&M, Hurst, etc. shifters and pick out the one you like the most that accomodates the reverse valve body. It could probably be adapted into the console. If not, remove the console as I did in my 72 and run the shifter alone.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode