dual in dual out muffler - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

I am looking to change then dual in dual out muffler on my 69 RS. It currently has a dynomax muffler with exhaust manifolds, 2 1/4 custom bent pipes and a 350/350hp motor. The dynomax has a really bad resonating sound. I have heard that flowmaster make a 3 chamber, dual in dual out muffler. Does anyone have one and how does in sound? or does anyone else make a dual in dual out muffler that sounds good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

The Flowmaster muffler is likely to be much louder. Go to show and listen to cars, ask the owners of the ones you like what they are running. Any opinion you recieve on this forum is going to be subjective. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

And now for a subjective opinion.I have a Flowmaster transverse mounted 2in/2out muffler(part #42582,so says the reciept) on my 67.327 engine,Dynomax headers,2 1/4" pipes,"balancer"tube.I hate it,WAY too quiet.I am going to pull it off and change to something else eventually.
BTW,I am not somebody who is into obnoxiously loud cars,mine is just way to tame,I expected and wanted it to be a little loud.
I do agree with Steve though,I think the best way is to hear them in person.I would have,I just didn't see anyone else running this style Flowmaster.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 1st, 00, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech

If you want a car with a louder sound try swapping the cam with one that has a tight lobe center. The Isky Mega cams ground on 108 or 106 degrees have a great lope.

Steve R.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 07:41 PM
Tech Team

I JUST READ AN ARTICLE IN THIS MONTHS SUPER CHEVY MAGAZINE ABOUT A DUAL IN/ DUAL OUT EXUAST SYSTEM THAT UTILIZES FLOWMASTER MUFFLER. THE ARTICLE IS GEARED TOWARDS GETTING AS MUCH GROUND CLEARANCE AS POSSIBLE ON A FIRST GEN CAMARO. PRETTY COOL ARTICLE. YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 05:13 AM
Tech Team

I saw that article, it was good. I really want those shorty Hedman headers but I hear they won't work on a 4 speed because of z-bar interference. Anyone try that application? I am really considering a chambered system for my car but don't see much about them. Love those stock polished tips! Is it because they a way over priced? Anyone out there happy with it? How loud? I also noticed there is a big block and a small block system. I think the BB is 2 1/2" where the SB is 2 1/4". I am thinking about getting the BB system for better flow( I have a SB) since I will be using headers and need custom head pipes anyway. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech

I have headers, 2" pipes (w/crossover) into Flowmaster (not sure how many chambers)two in two out mufflers into stock tails and my Z is pretty darn loud. I think part of that is the higher compression Z 302 motor. I have heard single chamber flowmasters on two different big block Chevelles (on was a 13.5:1 427 and one was a stock 454 motor). The diffenence was almost like night and day. Higher the compression = increase in sound. I have heard nothing but compliments on the sound of my Z with these Flowmasters. It is loud but not obnoxiously loud until you get the R's above 4500 or so... and that only happens occaisionally hehehe

Robert Stacho (a.k.a.Mytmouse)

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 07:30 AM
Tech Team
Pat

I've talked with the Flowmaster techs in regards to the transverse muffler and they did say it creates a lot of heat in the area and increases interior temps more than dual mufflers.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 09:14 AM

Before you get the same old hollow Flowmaster sound that everyone else has check out Spintech Sportsman mufflers. They sound great and flow much better than a Flowmaster and Dyno Max. I just put them on my 69 Z/28 2-1/2 tube with an X pipe. Sounds like a NASCAR crisp but not hollow.
The flow test are;
2-1/2 open pipe = 205
Spintec Sportsman = 175
Borla = 175
Dyno Max = 135
Flowmaster = 88
I had them installed at the Muffler Man same place that did the installation in the Super Chevy magazine mentioned before.
Gained some much needed low end torque, not real loud or annoying at freeway speeds, with 373 gears I tach 3400 at 70mph.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 09:17 AM
Tech Team
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jacksz28:
I saw that article, it was good. I really want those shorty Hedman headers but I hear they won't work on a 4 speed because of z-bar interference. Anyone try that application? I am really considering a chambered system for my car but don't see much about them. Love those stock polished tips! Is it because they a way over priced? Anyone out there happy with it? How loud? I also noticed there is a big block and a small block system. I think the BB is 2 1/2" where the SB is 2 1/4". I am thinking about getting the BB system for better flow( I have a SB) since I will be using headers and need custom head pipes anyway. Any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Intermidiate Headers exit directly toward the Z bar and will not work with a 4 speed.

The differance in the chambered exhuast is BB 2 1/2" at the manifold. SB 2 1/4" at the manifold. The tube diameter is 2 1/4" for both systems after the head pipe connection.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 10:04 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Arrow

So I hear, delta flow 50 is very melow sounding ( low resonance), I had a 3 chamber on my truck with a cat. and sounded fine.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I had the Flowmaster transverse muffler 2 1/2" system. If you like to bake pizza in your trunk you will like it very much.

Insulation, wrapped around the top of the muffler and pipes, was only marginally effective.

I now have Flowmaster 3" in - 2 1/2" out three-chambers with tailpipes. It's OK for a weekend car but no way for a daily driver. It has the 2000-2300 resonance as well. The head dude at Spintech says his XL series is the way to go for a street car.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 04:38 PM
Tech Team

Cool

I too have the 2.5" Flowmaster system with the transverse muffler, and it has outstayed its welcome.

Since Flowmaster doesnt make the Delta Flow series in this muffler a buddy of mine at his exhaust shop will be using a Dynomax Super Turbo that fits a Buick Grand National.

I guess hes done a few in the past year on some Camaros and everyone has been pleased.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech

Baked pizza or not, the transverse muffler on first Gens was original design and the cleanest looking exhaust system on these cars. I have seen other straight dual systems that look Ok but never as clean...unless you like to see pipes and mufflers hanging below the car. As far as the Flowmaster sound...there seems to be no middle ground...you either love it or hate it.

Robert Stacho (a.k.a. Mytmouse)
------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 08-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 08-08-2000).]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 01:51 PM
Tech Team

Cool

I don't think this guy in a mustang that I raced
last saturday cared for the sound of my flowmaster. since he gave me the finger when i stopped at the next light and he was
able to catch up...But I think it sounds great.

------------------
69' R/S LEMANS BLUE, 406, DELUXE INT, houndstooth
12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode