hideaway's partially working - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My 69 r/s head light doors dont open or close. sometimes they will work about half way or if i give them a push.I was thinking of trying a second vacum canister,because of my cam. I dont think im produceing enough vacum. just wondering if this sounds like a good idea or if it will work. I hate to give up the money for it if it wont. thank's

------------------
69' CAMARO R/S LEMANS BLUE, DELUXE INT.400/400 12 BOLT 4:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

That RS headlight set-up sounds like a pain in the behind. I'll swap you my standard grill assembly for your RS one...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

gheatly, thanks anyway but the R/S grill
set up looks to cool to give up that easy on.

------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
have you checked to make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. do you have new hoses or originals. mine werent working when i first got mine, just had to trim about a half inch off the end all the lines as they were all dry rotted and split. also need to make sure you check the two lines going into the light switch under the dash. also could have a bad actuator. if you dont have a vacuum leak, a second canister is probably your best bet.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

joe68r/s, thanks for the advice . I'll check all my vacum lines again.
I have not actually had my actuators off the car to see how they look. is there any way of testing them to see if there still good?
thank's

------------------
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech

Put a hand vacuum pump on the line going to either the front( if closed ) or the back ( if open ) and listen while your pumping. Usually the canisters will leak around the shaft, that is where even new canisters leak that were " supossedly " tested before shipping.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 07:58 AM

one way to check the system is to use an electric vaccum pump that is used to repair a/c systems. you can remove the hose that connects to the intake and connect it to the pump this way you dont have the engine running and leaks are easier to here also you dont get hand cramps pumping the hand pump. i have actually opened the cannister and replaced the o ring on the seal and soldered the can back together this works till the seal goes.if you are determined to keep the system vaccum some GM cars used an electric vaccum pump for the brake booster i think it was 1989 buick somerset or similar body check with a GM tech at a dealership or parts person i am sure they have sold one in the past if they can tell you what they fit you might find a working unit in the bone yard. they will usually let you test them. before you buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode