Demon carb - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I really like my Edelbrock carb, but I never seem to be satisfied unless I'm spending money on my car. I've been thinking about buying a Demon carb, but I can't find anyone who has one to get their input. I would probably go with a mechanical secondary 750cfm Speed Demon.

Do these carbs have good street manners? How about performance?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 00, 03:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I started with a 750 Speed Demon (mechanical secondaries) on a 406. The rear metering block was mis-machined; took four weeks to get it replaced. In the meantime I installed a 1407 Edelbrock 750 carb. The engine is 11-1 compression, 284 XE Comp cam, 6" rods, Victor Jr.,Iron Eagle 215 cc heads, etc. Probably 480-500 h.p. I really thought I would give up a noticeable amount of power. When the Demon returned I removed the Edelbrock. Both carbs ran very well. But the Demon didn't feel much if any faster; maybe a little, but not much. My opinion is the Demon is a good carb; lots of neat features. But I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between the two. But every engine is different. I've always been a "Holley" guy; Edelbrock (Carter) carbs are great on mild engines. I was a little surprised they felt so close.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

buckeye,
i spent some time checking out these carbs and from what i've read and listened too, there very good carbs. the speed shop next to where i work swears that for money vs money, there the best buy. they have seen more horsepower on the dyno with a stock demon carb vs a holley carb that has been worked over. the guy who built my big block also swears by them, and he does some serious engine building. he also made the same comment about a stock demon. i'm a holley guy and i found it hard that someone put out a better carb, but they say, this could be the carb. but also, don't look past the holley hp series carbs, there suppose to be very good carbs also. they make a 750 in the hp series. might be something to look into ?
later
bruce

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech

Buckeye,

I started out with a 750 Holley Double Pumper on a big block and changed it to a 750 Double Pumper Demon. Dyno testing shows no difference in HP but the demon is definitely more responsive in partial throttle situations and surpizingly it idles a little bit better with the Demon.

I quite frankly don't think it is worth the difference in price however. I will say that the gasket seals on the Demon are better. They use a better seal around the bowls.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 06-03-2000).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 11:10 AM
Tech Team
Rob G

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I'm getting alot of useful info from the replies. I'm going to try and stay away from the Holley carbs because I have bad luck with them. I can't seem to keep them running good. I'm gathering that a Demon carb takes more tuning than a Holley. It sounds as though I might should stick with the edelbrock...or maybe fuel injection is what I need....hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode