rear springs for Z-28 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

In an eariler question reguarding if the car
that I bought was a real Z-28 several people responded that if it was a real Z it would have 4 leaves in the springs!!I have seen mono-leaf springs on first gen. camaros and also multileaf springs{I have another 69 that was originally a six cylinder car an it has 3 leaves in the springs}. Someone else responded and said some camaros came with 5 springs!!The car in question does have 4 leaves so does that signify its possibly a real Z. Someone please enlighten me on all the spring combinations. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 01:44 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Sounds like you probably got a real Z to me. (Like that rhyme?). All you are missing
is documetation. You might try to find a build sheet, although a lot of Norwood built cars did not have one. Mine is a Van Nys plant car. I found the build sheet on top of the gas tank when I took the gas tank out during restoration. Some other places to look are in the seat springs, behind the door panels, taped to the under dash wiring harness, & under the carpet. Worth a look, but don't be surprized if you don't find it.
After 31 years, mine was deteriorated so bad,
I could only read half of it, but there were enough readable codes to document the car was a factory Z/28. Peace69Z/28
69Z/28, 70 Chevelle SS, 90 454 SS p.u.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 01:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Most 69 Z's had 4 leafs, some had 5. Sometimes people try to fake 4 leaf by taking out a spring. On a real 4 leaf set the shortest leaf has ends that look like they were cut with a shear, not rounded like the longer springs.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Looks like you got the real thing.Why did you think it might be a fake?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big gear head:
Looks like you got the real thing.Why did you think it might be a fake? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This car is an early norwood car,built in sept. of 68 so it does not have the x33 or the x77 on the cowl tag signifing that it is a real Z.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 07:48 AM
Tech Team

Question

jbboa, Are you interested in selling this car? If so, let me know, and I will give you my e-mail address. I'm about 300 miles or so from you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

This is directly from our CRG site, under the 69 ID table:

12.Generally, Z28's used 4 leaf springs and the other multi-leaf spring applications used 5 leaf springs. However, contrary to popular belief, the use of 4-leaf springs only on 68-69 Z28 and 5-leaf springs only on SS, L30/M20, and COPO car, is not a given. Spring sizing was assigned as a function of weight and option - and this was especially fine-tuned in 1969. Z28s with five-leaf springs and SS, L30/M20, COPO cars with 4-leaf springs are possible according to factory documentation and they have been observed (Z28, SS, L30/M20) on original cars. We have not yet observed a COPO car with 4-leaf springs, but believe it to be a possible outcome, depending on ordering options.

So, 4 leafs don't prove anything. You need to look at other features too.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode