reproduction fenders - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have 68SS, my stock fenders well the guy before me tried to put a patch panel on and really i mean really screwed it up. How about the reproductions from rick's or stick oem gm? anybody want two fenders and a flat hood for a 68 really cheap i live in the paris tennesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Spend the money and get GM products if you can find them. The cost of making a repro fit is more than the purchase price of a GM part. In the long run, you will be much happier.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech

I whole heartedly agree, go GM all the way. If the car is a keeper it is worth the money to get original GM fenders. My 68 had new GM fenders and other such parts on it when I got it, but had repro quarters. The quarters are crap, if you push lightly on them you can feel the metal give, I don't see how the fenders would be any better. You can still sometimes find NOS sheetmetal at swapmeets. Remember to shop early and often.

Steve R.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech

Hi, I have a 67 Camaro. My car did have two original GM front fenders on it when I bought it. However, when someone ran into my car in the driver's fender, that soon changed. GM doesn't make fenders for a non-RS 67 Camaro. I was forced to buy the repro fender since I personally don't have the resources to cut off the RS headlight mounting tabs in the GM RS fenders and reweld them to the nonRS spots. The fender was an absolute bear to get to fit good enough...the door gap would be too big and the fender to windshield chrome molding would be too wide. After spending days fooling with it, I finally got it looking pretty good..maybe 1/4 inch door gap and no windshield gap. After getting it painted an everything, it looks great, you can't tell it's a repro. It isn't quite as heavy guage steel as the original, but it's not flimsy either. It's comparable to what they would put on a domestic car today. So, if price is a major consideration, you might want to go with a repro, just expect it to take longer to get it to fit good. Also, don't order a repro, go and pick it up yourself after fully inspecting it. I looked through 3 fenders at Year One before buying the one I did.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:46 AM
Tech Team

Get the GM's even if your not going to keep the car. The time you save in fitting is worth the difference...not to mention blood pressure
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

I would buy the GM's if you can find them. I went through 2 sets and gave up and bought the expensive NOS fenders. It's worth it.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech

This is off subject slightly, but it is the same advice I recieved from a friend of mine. Get any NOS sheetmetal you find at a reasonable price, and can afford, even if it is for a car you do not own but is on your wish list. I am not talking about paying retail but the $50-150 stuff you occasionally find at swapmeets. You never know what you will find, especially standing up in the back of peoples spaces.

Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode