Ignitor by PerTronix - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone installed one in their car as an upgrade to points? I have a 69 conv. and was wondering if this would give a better, more reliable spark, etc.
No problems with my distributor, just want to hear some feedback.....

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
John

Mike, I put one in my restored '69 Z/28 almost 5 years ago. Besides being undetectable I haven't had one problem with this ignition. I use AC rapid-fire plugs, a stock delco cap and repro Packard wires. For my money it's the best thing going!
p.s It only took about 2 hours to install from dist removal to resetting the timing.

John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

Thumbs up

I just picked up a Lobe Sensor Ignitor. This is the one where you don't remove the distributor. It looks too easy to install, all you do is take out the points, put this thing in their place and then hook up two simple wire connections. I am probably going to install mine over spring break. I can't wait to see how it performs, I've heard a lot of good stories about them.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Talking

I've put the Ignitor in a couple of cars and it works great. It shouldn't take too long to install and you really don't need to remove the distributor. In fact, that's where most of your time is spent, putting the distributor back where it was to reset the timing. Just make sure the wires aren't hanging loosely inside the distributor or they could get chafed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:27 AM
Tech Team

Cool

Great system, looks stock very reliable. I have used them in all my restos. for over 5 years.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 01:43 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Smile

Where can you buy it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 06:04 PM

www.pertronix.com has more info. You can also order it through catalogs like National Parts Depot. I will be putting a one on my 327 pretty soon. There are no claims of greater horsepower or hotter spark. The main attraction is points replacement and original appearance.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 06:13 PM

I should explain myself on the horsepower claim. The Pertronix website claims a gain of up to 20 horsepower. My bet is that gain is comparable to a points style distributor that has the gap worn down - as points do so often and loss of power as result. The Chevelle tech forum had a major debate a while back regarding the attempt to increase the gap on their spark plugs as a benefit of the ignitor install. Some people had no problem and others burned out the unit trying to run more gap in their plugs. Do a search on "pertronix" on the Chevelle site and set aside 30 minutes to read the posts.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net

[This message has been edited by jbradway (edited 02-16-2000).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 03:05 AM
Tech Team

Can an MSD 6A or other aftermarket amplifier be used with this thing to boost spark? I read in CHP that you need to buy Pertronix coil because aftermarket coils would cause problems.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 00, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Talking

Mike, I have put one in my 67 and am pleased with it.I cant claim to notice any horsepower gains but i dont get any more point floating when i get it wound it! Pertronix also recomends a stock type coil, as high output coils draw more primary current amperage that will damage the magnetic pick up! Install was easy also. (Pertronix also says compatible with MSD and Jacobs systems)

[This message has been edited by 67RSSS (edited 02-20-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode