69 factory am/fm 8 track - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I looked at a 69 z-28 this fall and it had a factory am/fm 8 track stereo.The am/fm was in the dash and the 8 track was at the rear of the center console facing the dash.I have never seen or heard of this option.The paper work on the car listed it as option # 05u79ae and the price was $239.10.,alot of money for a stereo in 1969.Has anyone ever seen one? How rare was this option? Thanks

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I see on Mad Mikes camaro site that the u79 was just an am/fm radio option? Maybe the 8 track was dealer installed? I looked factory to me.Just curious?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

My book has 6239 made in '69. That is the factory 8 track. The 8 track was an extra $133.80 over the cost of the radio.

------------------
'69 RS SS L78 convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 04:28 AM

I don't know if it is the correct unit, but there is an 8 track add on for sale on Ebay. Check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=260545556

------------------
'69 Base Camaro
355, 200-4R trans
www.midnight-auto.com/yoda
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 09:23 AM

A relative of my wife has a original 69 RS/SS sitting in the garage doing nothing and it has the factory 8 track mounted to the back of the console. Only one of about three I have seen in person. Pretty rare I think. Looks to be in the way. I would take it out but keep it. Probably what happened to most. Taken out anyway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool

Does your wifes relative want to sell the SS/RS? If it's a 396 4-speed I'm interested! Your right the 8-track was in the way,I would have taken it out and put it away.Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 01:12 PM
Tech Team

I have a factory 8-track mounted on my console. It acts as a nice arm rest..
The option is quite rare, and you can still find bunches of tapes on Ebay for cheap..!!

mh
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up

I have an original 69 SSRS L-78 BB. One of the original options was the 8-track on the console. It looks awesome sitting there. I had never seen one either until I went to see this car which was sitting in an old tractor barn on a farm. If it's there - Don't touch it!! It makes a great armrest and it's an option rarely seen and greatly appreciated when viewed by most others. By the way, you'd be amazed at how freakin' heavy they are.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 03:23 PM
Tech Team
Dave

My 67 RS Conv has the 8 Track on the console but underneath the dash. I replaced the belt in it this year and now it works again! The big problem with the 8 Track on the 67 is that when the shifter is in park it interferes with changing the tape. 67's don't have the locking steering wheel, so if you are not careful and shift out of part to change a tape while parked on a hill, your in for a bit of a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode