Tailpipes - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My other post addresses mufflers - but I'm also interested in tailpipe location. Generally, I'm a fan of exiting in the stock location. But, I want to see what some of you have done - stock behind the tires or out the back? If you went out the back - did you go inside or outside the leaf springs?

Did anyone see the "Thrasher" Camaro article on the exhaust system? Mark Stielow ran his pipes out under the gas tank if I remember right? Any opinions on that approach?

Also - I can't seem to find that issue of Chevy High Performance - if anyone has it and would be willing to fax me a copy of the article I would really appreciate it. (Please e-mail me)

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech

I don't have the CHP issue that this was in but I have the Hot Rod Camaros newstand issue, and stielows exhaust exited between the leaf spring and the quarter panel and then out the back. I don't think I've ever seen a car that ran the exhaust under the gas tank and I don't think I would advise it either do to heat generated by the exhaust, and it would look bad becuase it would hand to low. On my 3" system my exhaust exits directly behind the rear tire, the exit barely fits between the leaf spring and the lower quarter panel and hangs down below the quarter about 1/4".
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:41 AM
Tech Team

The Flowmaster kit brings the tailpipe out the back on the outside of the springs, also a neat feature is that the hangers line up w/stock hanger locations

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

When I bought my 69 ten years ago, it had the exhaust pipes running under the gas tank and exiting under the rear bumper. Everyone called them "rocket launchers". they did look kind of funny.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 10:24 AM

I've got a 3" hole saw you could use to cut holes in your fenders if the pipes don't fit....
------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 02-16-2000).]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 11:26 AM

Cool

Rocky, I have that issue, when I find it Ill send it to you.If someone hasnt already
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 01:23 PM
Tech Team

Rocky, im thinking the same thing for my 69. I like the 68 setup better, but dont know whether or not to keep stock......

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 05:56 PM
Tech Team

Flowmaster and Edelbrock#5512 make a nice muffler that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. If you have a mild engine this setup works great. Setup like this: headers-collectors-pipes-muffler-pipes that exit in front of the rear wheels. Again, only for a mild engine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 01:37 AM

Rocky, as a firefighter, I would have to say don't put the exhaust under the gas tank. Two reasons: No. 1, the heat put out by a tail pipe can heat the gas inside of the tank. This expands the fuel inside which could cause serious problems. No.2, If you should ever get a pinhole leak or overfill your tank and it reaches the hot tailpipe, need I say more? I'm putting mine in the stock location. Am getting a FlowMaster kit from Summit Racing for $261. Has all components and exits in the stock local. Hope this helps.

Lou

------------------
To see my car
www.angelfire.com/mo2/firedog122
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I'm not excited about running under the gas tank so that's ruled out. I'm generally in favor of exiting behind the wheels in the stock location. Going out the back is just another turn.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 06:03 AM

Speaking of missing issues Rocky...
If you or anyone else reading this has the June 97 Hot Rod with the "350 Engine Chevy Should Have Built", could you please fax (mail me for the number) a copy of the article to me? I'm seriously thinking of following along and reproducing this build-up, but my issue has been misplaced since we moved. Thanks a bunch.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Flowmaster has 2 exhaust systems for the 69 Camaros. One is a true dual that bolts to headers and the other is a cross-flow in the stock location that also bolts to headers. They both exit at stock location. Torque Tech offers 2-1/2" - 3" dual kits that exit in the stock location also. TAPerformance also has 2-1/2" kits for headers. I think Borla has a 2-1/4" dual kit and so does Summit Racing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Talking

Hi all! Would you believe that on my first camaro, a '67 ragtop some 20 years ago, I ran a custom system under the gas tank. The pipes exited directly under the bumper guards, and I hung the hangers from the gas tank strap bolts. I had the pipes bent to conform to the bottom of the tank, then parallel to the world for the last 10", and chromed the entire pipe. At least in my opinion, it looked great! I have some pictures that show the pipes, might be able to scan them if anyone is interested. I put 25000 street miles on the car over 4 years without any problem from this setup.

Jim

[This message has been edited by JimM (edited 02-17-2000).]

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 00, 04:49 PM

My Tailpipes end at the Rear Differential and bend straight down pointing at the ground

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode