Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Hello,

What's the difference between a '69 6 cyl and a '69 V8?
Is it only the 6 cyl engine vs a V8, and a single exhaust vs a dual exhaust, or......?
Does everything that came of a V8 fit a 6 cyl. (with the same trim)?

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Lightbulb

There are several important differences between V8 model Camaros and I6 models.

Some differences are: front coil springs (lower rate), front shocks, engine harness, motor mounts (?)-[might be able to fit sb V8], radiator, fan shroud, alternator and the exhaust system (mainly position in the engine compartment).

The good thing is if you find a I6 model camaro that is minus the engine or mostly stripped it should be a relatively easy conversion to V8! V8 parts will fit on an I6 Camaro.

Other than some mechanical/ electrical items, most everything else is completely interchangable with any other Camaro of the same year (possibly other years as well depending on the part).

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

My car was originally a 6. One thing to note is the fuel line running from the tank to the engine is 5/16". This didnt really wasn't a problem with the mild 350 that was in the car when I bought it. But with the 383 I have in there now, the motor stumbles due to fuel starvation when floored for sustained periods.
Frame mounts (that engine sits on) on my car are also lower than regular V8 small block mounts, which causes interference with crossmember if a performance (larger) mechanical fuel pump is used.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I also did the I6 to V8 swap in my 68. The frame mounts are way different (I6 mounts are shorter). Also don't forget about the sending unit inside the gas tank it's 5/16" also. I just replaced both the sending unit and the supply line, they were cheap.

The I6 radiator won't cut it either.

The wiring harness is fine, you may have to shorten the coil wire a bit. Also cut electrical tape and reroute the oil sending unit wire.

Don't plan on using any pulleys, brackets or belts from the I6. But I did manage to reuse both the p/s pump and the alternator.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech

eric,
i heard that the p/s pump wouldn't cross over. i'm about to do this swap myself, and i'm trying to get everything i'm going to need before i get started. i'd love to save the cost of a pump. what about the p/s pulley, did you have to replace it?
thanks,
tybor
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

There are many differences between a 6 & 8 cyl. The biggest is 2 cylinders

Check the books. That will have all you need to know.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I did use the 6 cyl power steering pump. I had to use a different p/s pump pulley. I also shortened the return line connection on the bottom of the p/s pump to clear the frame and had to put a 1/4" spacer between the p/s crank pulley and the alternator/water pump crank pulley.

I think I needed the spacer because I have a Z28 p/s bracket and non-Z28 pulleys (not because it's a 6 cyl pump). I believe the Z28 pulleys have deeper grooves and stack up thicker than the "standard V8" pulleys on the crank. I think the Z28 crank pulleys and p/s pulleys are NLA so I'd try to stick with "standard V8" brackets AND pulleys. You can find these pulleys in the aftermarket pretty easy - black, chrome, aluminum, etc.

I had a lot of problems trying to get this setup to work out and I never really figured out exactly where I went wrong, but it the 6 cyl p/s pump does fit perfectly in the V8 cradle bracket. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny my Z28 pulley theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode