Power Steering / Belt Alignment Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

I have a ’67 coupe small block that I converted to power steering and am having problems lining up the power steering belt with the crank. I’m using a long water pump and the pump and brackets from a ’69 (Which I believe should work with the long water pump.) The crank pulley has 2 grooves. The outer most groove (towards the radiator) on the crank pulley is used for the water pump and alternator. I assumed the inner groove on the crank would be for the power steering belt. When I bolt up the “cradle” type pulley under the power steering pump to the water pump (drivers side), the pulley on the power steering pump seems to line up right in the middle of the two grooves on the crank. There doesn’t seem to be any flexibility for adjustment. When I put the alternator/water pump belt on, it hits the pulley on the power steering pump (I have the pump with the keyway on the shaft coming out of the pump). I have the assembly manual for the ’67 but it doesn’t help me with this setup.

Questions:

1. Am I correct to assume the power steering pulley goes on the inside of the alternator/water pump pulley?
2. How close is the power steering pump to the engine block.
3. What angle is the pump in relation to the ground when the belt is tight (is the cap on the pump level to the ground when the belt is tight or is it angled one way or another)
4. What am I missing ????

If anyone has any pictures of the way you have a power steering pump mounted on a small block with a long water pump you’d make my life a lot easier.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

On my 68 with A/C(not sure if it makes a difference)My power steering pump belt goes straight to the crank pulley(First groove closest to the radiator)..My pump sits low on the drivers side..(I just replaced the belt..15 1/2" belt) so the pump itself sits straight up and down..Good luck... would send a pic but no digital camera...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 09:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

My 68 factory assembly manual shows the power steering pump going to the outer groove closest to the radiator as well for a V-8. I'll e-mail you a scan of the page.

Brian

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 01, 12:58 PM
Team Member
John

I just finished converting my '69 Z/28 from manual to power steering, using all correct stock parts - the only problem I found is that the pump pulley lines up about 1/4" rearward of being perfectly aligned with the rear (closest to the engine) crank pulley groove, and the return hose in the kit was about 6" too short - had to have the auto parts store cut me a new one 6" longer. Looking at it from the front, I have about 1-1/4" clearance between the O.D. of the pump pulley and the O.D. of the crank pulley. The back of the pump is spaced about 3/8" from the front of the block.

Are you sure you have the correct pulleys for your setup? The '69 non-Z28 and non-A/C long water pump arrangement (pulley groove closest to the engine drives the P/S pump) uses a 3956666 crank pulley, 3932402 water pump pulley, and 3770509 P/S pump pulley; A/C changes the water pump pulley to 3932430, the crank pulley to 3932428, and the P/S pump pulley to 3941107.

My pump tower sits about 5 degrees inboard of vertical with the adjuster bottomed out at the top of the slot, and about 15 degrees inboard of vertical with the pump all the way up so the adjuster bolt is at the bottom of the slot.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 07-04-2001).]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Thanks Jon. How did you resolve the problem with the belt not lining up? My crank and water pump pulleys are not stock. The car has no A/C. Looks like the pump is angled correctly but just does not line up with the crank pulley. I might try to get the correct pulleys for the 69 (thanks for the part numbers) and see if that helps.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Anyone know how to tension the power steering belt on a 69??? I was lookin at it and i couldn't figure it out. It is not like the alternator where u just have to loosen a bolt and put some leverage on it... or mnaby it is and i just don't know how..

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Thanks for the replys so far. I've posted a couple of pictures of the problem at the URL below. Any help / thoughts wpuld be appreciated. Does anyone have any pictures of a power steering pump with a long water pump?

Thanks again.
Kevin
http://pages.prodigy.net/kgaffney/Ca...maro_steer.htm
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech

From what I see you might be able to shim the pump back...It appears that the pump is bolted to the mounting bracket..If this correct and you have the room place shim between the mounting bracket and the 4 pump to bracket bolts..This should push the pump back toward the engine...Good luck hope this helps....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech

My pump/res. is much different on my 69
my pulley sits further back (more back spacing) in it.My fan/alt pulley is also larger diamiter than power steering pulley
on the crank and you may have a clearance problem with the res./water pump. I really couldnt tell on the pic but on mine lifting the pump tightens the belt but also moves the top of the res. closer to waterpump
mine also uses a 36" belt for the p.s.
I should also note I dont know how correct mine is but it does work
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Thanks for the help. The pump is bolted directly to the block (with a gasket). The only bracket I am using that is not stock is the adjuster at the rear (bolted to the head). The balancer is 6 3/4. Is there any other brackets for a small block with a long water pump that might work?

Thanks again.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Could I have the wrong power steering pump? Where would I find the numbers on it? I removed all of the brackets and just wanted to see how the pump would look without any of the brackets and it looks like the pump body would need to be touching the block in order for the pumps pulley to line up with the inner most crank pulley.

Does this sound right?

Thanks.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

From the pictures, you either have the pulley on backwards, or its the wrong pulley. My PS pulley fits much closer to the pump than yours. There is a fitting with two flats that a wrench can be put on that sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4" that goes on the side away from the pump, The other side (the side against the pump) is just about flush with the hub.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Wink

I agree with Mark. That pulley on your PS pump does not look right. Measure from your block to the belt groove centerline and compare that to a known stock setup. Also you confused me by saying the pump is bolted to the block. In your pictures it clearly shows it hanging from the waterpump as it should! If it was bolted to the block it would be for a short waterpump.

------------------
69 Camaro - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.

[This message has been edited by TJS69 (edited 07-08-2001).]
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Sorry for the confusion - when I said the pump was bolted to the block - I meant the water pump - referring to the post by Badcaiman - I misunderstood and thought he was talking about shimming the water pump for more clearance. Looks like my problem is with the power steering pump and the pulley. Does anyone have a picture of the power steering pump / pulley installed on a small block with a long water pump?

Thanks again for all the help.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 03:01 PM
David Pozzi

You probably have the wrong pump pulley.
Note that Z/28 used deeper grouve pullies that are probably more like your alunimum pullies.
How about getting a pump pulley from the same source?
The crg site has a .pdf file of all Camaro pulley numbers. http://www.camaros.org
David

PS, I see what looks like a stock AC fuel pump. This pump may not be up to the job of supplying a better than stock engine.
A better pump would be the Carter.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode