Vintage Air vents - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Got a question.....I'm looking into installing a Vintage Air system in my 67 that did not have factory air. I contacted Vintage Air through email and they sent me (priority mail) the complete installation instructions and a full-line catalog for free!!! (Good first impression of the company!!) My question, maybe I should ask them, but I figured somebody on this board has probably done it, is if I can use original type AC vents in this system. The kit comes with their own AC/vents and templates for them, but they hardly look original. I'd like to put the original style vent balls in the dash and the original style center dash vent. Can I do this? Does anybody know of any templates for the holes, or the hole sizes? Also, how do the side vent balls attach to the dash? Any help would be appreciated!!!

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

You can use original vents for their system. I would look at an AC car to see what's involved. Either direction requires you to cut on the dash. Stock vents require a drilled hole and a bent piece of metal behind the dash to help pin the vent piece against the dash metal from behind. Not to difficult--just don't slip!

LH
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

If I buy the vents from Ricks or someplace else, should I be able to figure out what size of hole I need from the vents?

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

I checked into the vintage air kit as well. I was told the kit comes with vents that are supposed to be close reproduction of the stock vents and controls. There was someone from team camaro who had a post about starting to install the vintage air in their 67 but I never saw any further posts. Vintage air never sent me the installation instructions though. Suppose it's time to make a call. It was 105+ (and still not real hot)in Phoenix today so the camaro without air is parked in the daytime for a few months.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

jackr,

The outer vents are SIMILAR, but not nearly as cool-looking as the original pieces....they look like add on pieces. The center vent is completely unoriginal looking, and looks to be quite chinsy looking. I inferred from the installation instructions and catalog that the kit will attach to stock vents, but my concern is really mounting stock-type vents in a car that does not have the holes for them.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 12:14 AM
Tech Team

jrt67ss350
I put a vintage air kit in my 67 coupe two years ago, the kit came with adapters to use the stock astro vents, or you can use theres
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech

It might have been me who posted about starting the Vintage install last summer. The kit came with vents but I would have to say that they do not look like the originals. My car was factory a/c so I didn't use the vintage versions. They are smaller and don't have the intergrated, sweeping look of the stock vents. I would make sure you get or make a template of the stock holes from someone willing to take their vent out. The stock vents also follow the curve of the lower dash, so be sure to start the cut at the right spot.

Installation of the firewall opening requires the removal of the passenger fender to get to a couple screws holding the stock air box to the firewall. This was the most time consuming part of the process. In hindsight, I might try removing the passenger interior kick panel(not too easy with Astro vents) and then reach up from the opening below to the bolts where the little squirel cage fan housing is attached. A deep socket ratchet with a partner on the other side MIGHT be able to get those PISSANT bolts out without removing the fender. my .02

LH

My Vintage Air unit works like a charm and only drops the RPM about by about 150.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 12:12 PM
Tech Team

I put Vintage Air in my 67. It's not difficult to cut the vents, or to judge where to put the hole. Use the template they give you to make the initial holes, then widen them to fit the stock vents, which you can buy from Ricks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

convertibleRS,

Thanks for the reply! So you just used their template to cut the initial holes and just worked those holes to fit the stock Astro-style vents? Sounds easy enough. Did you install a stock style center AC vent also? If you did, what were the particulars for cutting the hole in the dash for that vent? What did you use to cut the holes for the dash vents?

Thanks

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 10:14 AM
Tech Team

Yes, I used the template and then widened the holes a bit more so the stock vents would fit.
As for the center vent, you'll need to buy a new bezel from Rick's, the one made for AC-equipped cars. There's no way to cut the non-A/C bezel and make it look right.
You may have to then cut a rectangular whole in the sheet metal behind the bezel, but you won't need to be precise because it will be covered by the stock vent and the bezel itself.
I used a pair of angled snips and a mini hack saw to cut the holes. Drill a starter hole first, of course.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode