Turbo anyone??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Question

What do you guys think of turbo charging a V8 Camaro??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

If I was going in that direction, I'd use a supercharger instead. Less heat and a better power band than a single turbo usually has.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

That is right. How stupid of me not to think of this.

But isn't installing a turbo less expensive? I know a supercharger is very expensive.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 11:56 AM
Tech Team

I love the idea of turboing a v8. I looked into a turbo for my Subaru Impreza 2.5 and the power in the upper rpms it would make was very tempting. I don't think it would be cheaper though. If you're talking computer controlled engine, then you get into weird problems that need all kinds of extra gadgets. Like if you turbo a engine that uses a manifold vacuum sensor the ECU will read pressure instead of vaccuum and the ECU will not no what to do then you might have to go with a new engine management computer. And all the extras you need to make the most power like wastegates, blow off valves, and intercoolers put the price way up there. Still, its very attractive. There's this book called Turbochargers, by Hugh Macinnes, on the cover there's a twin turbo chevy 350. Man, it looks soooo mean.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

When I bought my 73 Z28, it had dual turbos on it (old marine type, no intercooler, only an oil bath). The guy that I bought it from said that the guy that owned it before him could never get it to run right. I took all the stuff off and sold it for $250. The turbos needed to be rebuilt. To me it was nothing but a big head ache. I like stock stuff better. Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Ha ha ha.. I knew this would be an interesting subject. I looked on the web if I could find anything on this subject, but only found one..... So if any of you guys know where I could find some info (online). Please let me know. I own a '83 Z28. So there will not be any weird computer stuff... Just the engine, and a nice carb.. He he he..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

A turbo set-up will almost definitely cost more than a blower. And stay away from a turbo with a carb. You really need EFI with a turbo system. If you want to have a blower go with an ATI ProCharger set-up for carbureted small block Chevy's. Makes a bunch of power and MUCH easier to install. I've had them on three different cars. Be sure to buy the kit from SD Concept Engineering at http://www3.edgenet.net/sdce/

Talk to Scott; he'll save you money over buying it from ATI and can tell you exactly what's needed to get it going. The basic kits start at about $1995. and are pretty complete.

Jody
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech

I am taking on that same type project right now. With some basic fabrication skills, turbocharging will be cheaper. I have twin turbo's, wastgates and headers so far with a investment of $1600. The whole turbo set up with the plumbing will be less than $2000.

I played with both superchargers and turbo's, and there is no supercharger out there can match the efficiency of a well set turbo system.

There are a lot of misunder standings about turbo heat. The turbine housing itself gets hot, but a turbo will not heat the intake charge any more than a blower, in fact the adiabatic efficiency of turbo's averge 75%+ (a roots blower is about 45%), a centrifugal blower can have a 75% AE as well, but only over a narrow rpm band. The actual exhaust after the turbo is cooler than a non turbo engine. The turbo recovers wasted heat energy and uses it to compress the intake charge. Since an engines job is to make mechnical energy out of heat, heat that would otherwise be lost is used and not dumped out the tail pipe. You can expect an exhaust temp drop of about 300 degrees with a turbo.

Turbo selection is the biggest thing, i put together some info and formulas on my site in the sig to help people select turbo's. Just click Tech Articles.

Blowers are easier, not better.

------------------
www.grapeaperacing.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

if your heart is set on turbos contact lingenfelter performance ,john deals with this alot. but they are very exspensive to have set up right. try running a paxton supercharger,it'll fit under the hood and looks preaty good too.
john is working on a s-10 small block rate now,and i beleive its twin turbo charged(small ones to spool up faster).its around 800 h.p. and all wheel drive!!! that should be a nice ride!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech

I was just gonna say check out Grape Ape's page! Anyhow get a good book or two read up on everything there is to know about em and set one up! I have been contemplating this one ever since I got my car. It's a little pricey but well worth it IMO. I've been in those little rice burners with turbo and they can get up and go. I can just imagine a V-8 with twins....oooohh
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech

IF SET UP PROPERLY, turbos can can make awesome power at least equal to a supercharger. Look at the power that a worked Grand National puts out, and that's 2/3 the size of the average small block! The potential is obvious. Driven by the exhaust, parasitic power loss is minimal. And, like a centrifugal sc, the power curve can benefit a traction-limited street car (unlike a roots blower).

But, all the benefits mean nothing if you don't have the expertise and/or money to get it to run properly.

Unless you really know what you're doing, a supercharger might be a better choice to add big-time power.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm... I thank all of you for your information. My heart as "sldhd" said is really set on turbo's. And I feel exactly what you feel "67stock" a V8 with twins.....wauww!! But that's what this forum is for. I'm trying to get as much info as possible, before spending my well earned money... Imagine I spend it all, and ther wouldn't be any performance.. My wife will kill me.. So keep the ideas coming guys..... my life depends on it
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 06:53 AM
David Pozzi

Check out Turbo City, and Gale Banks. I know Gale Banks has a web site, not sure about Turbo City.
They have kits and parts and have been around for a long time.
David

Grape Ape, I checked your web page and it's great! Thanks for the great info.
------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-06-2001).]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech

David,
Thanks for the complement. Turbo city does have a site, but I forgot what it is. They don't deal too much with custom turbo set ups anyway and were never really a lot of help. The guy's at turbonectics www.turbocharged.com will help out as much as they can. galebanks is good, but he sems to deal more with RV's and trucks lately. Not much on their site for cars.

------------------
www.grapeaperacing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode