To keep original or not - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

I need some opinions (pros and cons)! I have a 68 327 210hp conv. all original/numbers match. I have been considering modifying the eng. that is bore 30 over, cam, 4bbl, headers, etc. But, if for some unfortunate reason, I should throw a rod or some such castastrophe, I would no longer have numbers matching. The other option would be to buy a 350 engine and pull the original and store it so I would always (or until I sell it) have a numbers matched system.

Any comments??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Well, since you asked here's my opinion. Since your car has apparently already made it 32 years in original condition, I would leave it that way. Those thoughts have crossed my mind many times in the past but I am glad that I have left mine original. Yours being a 68 ragtop is even more reason in my opinion since that is a premium car to have. There is a lot more enjoyment to driving a classic than having a 14 second car.
Put your top down and enjoy!

------------------
1970 mostly original
307,THM350
F41
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 03:09 AM
Senior Tech

It sounds like you are talking about just doing a standard engine rebuild with a more modern cam grind and perhaps headers/holley 4 barrel. If the engine needs rebuilding, I think you've got a good plan if the idea is to leave the rest of the car and underhood stock. Just keep the original carb and intake in a safe place. If you're considering "hot rodding" it more, than I would agree with the previous post. Bottom line your car, you decide.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech

H-dog, Your second choice is the one I would make. Take your original engine out and store it. Put in what you want and enjoy it. The original engine is only original once. Being a convertible and original I would keep the replacement engine fairly mild as convertibles aren't the stiffest. Sooooo store the original, put in a decent substitute, put the top down and give me a ride. No one I know owns a Camaro convertible anymore and they are great. Enjoy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Original is REEEEAL hard to come by in a 30+ year old car...especially a hot rod magnet like a Camaro. If it's actually a numbers matching, and everything's working, it's far more impressive and far more valuable to the Camaro community as an unmolested example for restoration purposes, than it will be as ANOTHER pretty-fast street Camaro. Convertibles are rare, they flex, AND they're heavy so you'll have to do some ugly stuff to make it seriously quick.

Besides, if you're looking to terrorize the streets (or legitimatly Drag Race it), a coupe body can be had for a grand just about anywhere in the country. When you consider what it'll cost for the motor you're wanting to put in your convertible anyway...plus the trans, tires, etc. you'll need to install to make it stick and make it live, buying a body is a marginal expense considering the overall project.

I have a '69 convertible (wanted a '68). The cool factor is built-in. No one ever wants to race me. They just say "...cool car!" or "...you wanna sell it?!".

For what it's worth, I suggest enjoy your ragtop "AS IS".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey All,

Thanks for the responses!! I do not intend to race this car on the street or strip. I just want a little pep and nice mellow rumble from the pipes.

H-dog
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

In my humble opinion and 20 years with these cars, I would just put a mild cam that will just give it a little tone like a Comp Cam 268 and just drive it. 327's are a tough engine and if you drive it half sane it will
last a long time. I love those converts! I have owned only 2 in 20 years!

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I guess it depends on how hard you're gonna lean on it. My car is a #'s matching '68 ragtop, 327-275hp. A previous owner put on aftermarket valve covers, manifold, & carb, (I have the original valve covers and manifold) and I've added headers and flowmaster system. Yes, it looks good, sounds good, and runs good. To wake up your 210 hp 327, you'd need a cam and maybe heads, too. So, store it, put in a crate 350, and be happy. Next year, my ragtop's getting a 406, and the 327's going back to box stock, on an engine stand in my garage.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 68 RS Convertible. I was in the same predicament that you are in. I decided to pull the original 210HP 327 and store it on an engine stand. I dropped in a big block for some excitement. (I don't recommend this swap unless your ready to max out the credit cards!)

I was disappointed in the performance of the car with the orignal motor. I couldn't even spin the tires from a stand still. I wanted a car that had it all, orignal looks, cornering ability and enough power to wipe the ugly grin off a mushtang owners face if need be. I can put the car back to orignal in a week if I feel the need, but now I have the best of both worlds.

I made the choice to enjoy my car, I did exactly what I wanted to do.
Rick
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Also, as far as fun quotient, this past winter, I pulled the powerglide and put an M20 in the ragtop. While I didn't use all "correct" parts, it's not easy to tell. And the 4 gear is way more fun than the powerslide!!!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech

Finally read this post and thought I would throw in my .02 I am restoring a 67 rag 327/275, deluxe int, console, powerglide that has been in my family since 1968. I remember buying it with my dad. I was 10. I still remember is was a decision between the rag and white hardtop. I voted for the rag. So the numbers all match and I can tell you just about everything has been done to the car. It has tons of memories and I treat it like a family heirloom.

In my restoration though I decided to turn it into what I wish it had been....an SS with a manual tranny. I figured I'm never going to sell it and I will always be up front and tell people it is a clone.

So....I dropped in a 383 and a Tremec 5 speed. I also added 4 wheel disk brakes and rebuilt suspension for safety. Outside it will pretty much look like a 67 SS as I went with 15x6 Rally wheels and I'll have all the badging, hood, nose stripe, etc...

But I will keep the old 327 in the corner just in case.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode