Pace Car - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Over the last couple months there has been a 69 375 hp Pace car on Ebay. The first time listed it was in a group of four cars. The last time listed it was by itself. I know the high bidder this last time. He went to see the car and found numerous things wrong with it, a big one being that it was not orig. a dual exhaust car. So if you are going to Missouri to look at a frame off #'s matching 375 hp Pace Car, check in here first and I will try to put you in touch with the fellow that looked at it. He got the impression that the owner was not aware of any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech

Clill, if it was not originally a dual exhaust car, how could it originally be a pace car? All real pace cars were RS/SS and would have had factory dual exhaust. So it's a fake pace car too besides not being a 375 hp car?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 08:30 PM
Tech Team

Clill,I knew of a pace car in Missouri,that had a big block,and a solid lifter tach.It was a 4-speed.No decals,older restoration.The thing I remember most is it had a bead of clear silicone on the steering wheel.(looked stupid on a nice car).Seemed like the door panels were a just a little shabby.If thats the same one I have a flywheel and trans that came out of it once.Sound like the same car? Longshot I know.Just curious.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
70RSS, You got it. There has been at least one real Z28 without that left side plate though. The last straw was when the owner would not let him remove the cowl panel to check the Vin #. Boomhouse, Not sure if it is the same Missouri Pace car .
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 00, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Where around here was the car? There is a classic dealer in Missouri that is as shady as they come. He is known to build cars. I wonder if it came from him?

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 03:19 AM
Tech Team

According to Bill Glowacki,a very knowledgable authority on camaros.Convertables did not recieve the left side tail pipe adapter plate.This is from a post from Sept 20,1999 on the Camaro Untold Secrets/Camaro Institute board.The post was titled "Any last minute advice".The person was going to look at a 69 SS 396 convertable.Just thought Id pass this on.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

Clill, I remember you sold a 396/375 NOM buildsheet documented '69 convertible not too long ago. Did your car have the plate?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I don't remember, but the guy that bought it is the same guy that went to look at the Pace. Good idea. I will ask him to check it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
The convert. that he has doesn't have the plate either.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech

Now the question is, how come convertibles don't have the plate? What did they do instead?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Perhaps the convertible SS cars did not come with the plate. Nonetheless, the Pacer sounds like a shady deal if the seller did would not let the buyer verify the VIN's stamped throughout the car matched each other. Sounds like the buyer was very serious about the car.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Red face

Boomhauer I completely forgot that was me that posted the "Any last minute advice" post. I was looking at an X66 Daytona Yellow convertible in Tennessee. It didn't have the adapter plate either. I still don't see why the seller wouldn't let a potential buyer check the hidden VIN.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 06:40 AM
Kevin

All, I have a regular convert with dual exhaust which does not have the plate. I think the reason for it is that the convert uses a thicker gauge metal for the rails, so the plate is not necessary. This is the same for the seat belt mounts in the rocker panels. The coupe has special plate with the nut welded in, but the convert just has the nut welded on (thicker metal to support nut). Just my .02 Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I am working on it!)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech

Thats interesting about the thicker metal, maybe thats it. I did know about the thicker rockers but not about the frame rails. As far as taking off the cowl panel to check the vin: If the car needed restoration I would care less and just take the panel off to show people that were interested if I had it for sale. If the car was mint I would be much more reluctant. Pulling off the wiper arms can scratch the paint and just taking if off in general can create scratches. By time the fifth person asked me I would have had enough. If the person was totally serious and it was make or break depending on the vin number then no doubt it would come off. Its like all the people that want to take it for a ride. Sure if you have the money and are serious then you can do what you want. If your just curious and want to see the number or go for a ride then no way. Either I would take it off and leave it off until sold or take a picture or something. But it wouldn't come off for everyone that asked
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

Forgot to add, on about 7 out of 10 cars I can see the vin through the grills, no need to pull off the whole panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode