67 OEM parts? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 00, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I was digging around in my Dads shop today and I found what I think was his orig. engine from his 67 rs/ss conv.camaro.The car he bought used in 68 and in 73 with 70000 miles on it he removed the engine to put in a 327 66 vette motor.The car was then stolen in 91 and never recovered,prob. a chop shop or somthin.Anyways,I was wondering if anyone has a bit of time and casting number info for the parts on these cars .The casting on the block is 3892657,and has fact. chrome "chevrolet" valve covers,how do i tell what cubic inch engine it is.He is retired now and cant remember but thinks it is 350.also the carb on it is a holley,list 7455 that I cant seem to find any info on.Stangest looking 4 bbl carb i ever seen,square bore with smaller bores but spaced out in between them,also looks totaly different than any holley carb ive seen.
I am going to rebuild this old motor for street use and was wondering if I should get an aluminun intake or stick with the one that is on there .The casting is 3905393,anyone know if this is original and if it is a decent intake instead of aftermarket?Also it had a real small waterpump on it that appears original,cast number 3782608or3782808,also there was two distributers by it ,one was a d 106,121 and the other has 1112039,oh31 on it,this engine has 462,1.94 int. heads on it ,Are they from Camaro?
Would really appreiciate if someone could help me out!
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 00, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech

The block, intake & head casting #'s are all parts that would have been used for a 67 Camaro SS 350ci/295hp engine. Check the block stamp pad for assembly date and application code (2 letters).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If the engine checks out as an original 350-295 from a '67 RS/SS, you can probably sell it as is for more than enough to pay for a new ZZ4. In the interest of preserving a peice of history, this may be the best thing to do. It should be in a '67 Camaro, even if it's not the "right" '67 Camaro. (and who know, if you list the vin stamp in the ebay ad and leave out the details, you might get lucky and find your Dad's car!!)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I finaly got around to puter to post the engine pad#'s and here they are,7n189581-voi25ms,this engine has been sitting indoors for most of its life with oil in the cyls. and periodically turned over,It has minimal rust in the cyl walls that just wipes awayas I have pulled the oil pan to see it is a 2 bolt main,the heads that were on it are 462 camel humps and I have verified thay are 1.94 intake,to bad thay arent 2.02's,looks like orig. cam but havent removed.Kinda looks to good and clean to touch anything.I cant believe I happened upon this old engine and my dad is almost certain this is the one from his old 67 rs/ss conv.I am in the middle of building a short block I already had that was in good shape. I guess I wont be punishing this one anyways.My Dad told me to look in the c orner for some oil pan bolts and other little parts i needed and under a pile huge filled with old junk parts and bodypanels I noticed the engine.so I started to remove some bolts That I needed and noticed the old filler tube and chrome valvecovers with chevrolet.Good thing I asked my dad about it but I knew it looked like a gem.
So The block I am building is also old type with filler tube in the intake,with flat tops.The block #s are 3932388 and is 4 bolt main.The engine pad #'s are TO407hv-102077052.Anyone know what this is from?
Was wondering if the camaro intake will give me any performance over a stock gm intake on this one?
Also I am using a friends camshaft,274,and he installed it wrong (i think)The intake and distrib. are still out but the timing cover is still on,and he installed it so that the crank dot is a the top but so is the camshaft dot?
Does this really matter or am I just freakin for nothin.
Thanks for the posts and the info guys.
Doug
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

Doug,

I disagree on a minor point with JimM - I agree that it needs to go to a '67 camaro - so keep as is - and sell it.

I just bought a complete carb to pan motor (about a week newer than yours)and got it for a lot less than a zz4 costs.

If you're interested in selling it - let me know - I'd be interested (email - [email protected])

Steve
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Dobeck,could you please tell me the info you found?This wouldnt be an orig.302 engine,would it?
Not really sure what to do with it but I kinda think if I get rid of it I will never find another,so for now i guess i will keep it.Besides,I know of a few guys with unfinished 67 camaro projects,one of them being an rs/ss.Maybe some day I will hit them up with a price to sell and get me a 67 rs/ss.But I already have a 72 nova ss that i enjoy and currently im installing motor.
Maybe if the right car is out there someone can make me a offer for the motor and run it by my Dad and see what happens!!!
Would be happy to help return an rs/ss worthy of this engine back to orig.
As long as I can cruise it for a day!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 03:56 PM

I need this motor to make my 67 Camaro SS correct. I have been restoring it for 11 yrs. I bought it when I was 15 and would be willing to purchase the complete motor from you. Please let me know either way.
Thanks,
Jack

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theGENERAL:
I was digging around in my Dads shop today and I found what I think was his orig. engine from his 67 rs/ss conv.camaro.The car he bought used in 68 and in 73 with 70000 miles on it he removed the engine to put in a 327 66 vette motor.The car was then stolen in 91 and never recovered,prob. a chop shop or somthin.Anyways,I was wondering if anyone has a bit of time and casting number info for the parts on these cars .The casting on the block is 3892657,and has fact. chrome "chevrolet" valve covers,how do i tell what cubic inch engine it is.He is retired now and cant remember but thinks it is 350.also the carb on it is a holley,list 7455 that I cant seem to find any info on.Stangest looking 4 bbl carb i ever seen,square bore with smaller bores but spaced out in between them,also looks totaly different than any holley carb ive seen.
I am going to rebuild this old motor for street use and was wondering if I should get an aluminun intake or stick with the one that is on there .The casting is 3905393,anyone know if this is original and if it is a decent intake instead of aftermarket?Also it had a real small waterpump on it that appears original,cast number 3782608or3782808,also there was two distributers by it ,one was a d 106,121 and the other has 1112039,oh31 on it,this engine has 462,1.94 int. heads on it ,Are they from Camaro?
Would really appreiciate if someone could help me out!
Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Doug,

Highly recommend "Chevrolet by the Numbers" by Alan L Colvin - - best book of numbers available.

Here's what I found / think -

You have a real nice sounding 350 from a '67 Camaro

Carb - you're on your own - I would have expected a Holley on a 302 - but not this numbering. Quadrajet on 327/350 - can be made by Rochester or Carter

Block (3892657) was correct for 302 / 327 / 350 - all used the same casting number

Intake - used with 4bbl Rochester on 327 or 350

Water Pump - used on 327 or 350

Heads - if 1.94 then 327 or 350 --- the 302 used same casting but 2.02 -

Chrome script valve covers - NOT used on 327 (only 302 or 350) -

So everything points to NOT 302 - NOT 327 - leaves only 350.

Then the pad lists it as MS - this was a 350 /295hp built for Camaros with either 3 or 4 speed transmissions.

So - sounds like it is a fairly complete 350 from a '67 Camaro.... I would also check the casting dates on these parts - my guess is they match up in the same time frame with the engine. Looks like the car would have been built in the 2nd to 3rd week of Feb based on the engine build date.

If you reconsider on selling - let me know.

Steve

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your helpful info guys,I told my Dad about the situation and he is leaving it up to me.He said if I could get a good buck for it to go ahead and sell it.What would you guys be willing to pay?I am in Canada so I guess it will be sold as is where is,If the American dollars are the right amount!
Also I found the breather chrome for it with the base and can barely make out 350,295 hp off the red sticker(now pinkish)The valve covers have a few small dents in them but no rust.Also one of the old point type distributors I found sitting on the engine is aluminum and the other heavier,is the aluminum one orig. to this motor anyone?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Email me - we can take it off-line - we can discuss what it is worth to me - decide what it's worth to you.

[email protected]

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode