2.5 turns on my gear? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

I have a 1970 camaro with a/c and p/s it is originally a 307 v-8. My question is this:
At my store I look up a power steering gear for my car and it tells me there are 2 different types of gear(one turns 3 to 3.5 turns{lock to lock}, the other turns 4 to 4.5 turns{lock to lock}. Mine turns 2.5{lock to lock} What's the deal? I've read post about converting the gear box to this setup from a third gen camaro, but if you saw this car you'de agree that it's not likely this guy spared that energy or expense. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 08:23 PM
Tech Team

the whatever number lock to lock is how many turns you can turn the steering wheel from the middle all the way left or right.

dont worry about what it says in a part book more people buy steering boxes with a higher turns becuase it gives a more sporty feel when turning so they dont really sell the ones with less turns

the more turns it has makes for a more firm steering less turns the steering feels sort of loose

just trust me you also have a open diff they didnt make that many camaros with a posi that year.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Athorn4941, you have it backwards. High performance steering boxes have fewer turns lock-to-lock than low performance boxes because they have a higher (numerically lower) ratio. The late 70s box I installed in my 69 has 2.5 turns lock-to-lock and has a 12:1 ratio. A stock 1st gen quick ratio box has 14:1 ratio and 3.5 turns lock-to-lock. The standard box was 15:1 and was 4.5 turns lock-to-lock.

yru_buggin, a previous owner of your car probably upgraded your car to a late 70s (2nd gen) quick ratio box. They came on Z-28s and T/As with the high performance handling package.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 08:34 PM
Tech Team

I said it gives a more sporty feel not that it is a high performance box GHEATLY! i know f-1 style race cars have fewer turns to give quicker steering response.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 00, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech

when they refer to LOCK TO LOCK do they not mean from full left to full right?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 00, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

You do have both things backwards!
Yes, lock to lock is full left to full right, all the way to the steering limits. I don't get the other post either. A quicker ratio will give you a more sporty feel, a slower ratio will give you more of a lazy , family car feel. Take a old power box off a '65 Chevelle, and compare it to a newer T/A power box, and the newer box will turn quicker, and have fewer turns lock to lock, and be more responsive. The fact that it can steer quicker, gives you the feel that it will get loose, especially with a posi rearend. The car will have a tendency to get into turn position quicker than with the old box, so I can see what you are trying to say.But, you have it backwards, the fast ratio box will be more sporty.
Have you ever driven an old F#^$ truck, with power steering. Those were slow ratio boxes, and the power steering made you feel like you had been to the dentist, and his shot got you in your arms instead of your mouth. Novacaine, exactly how the steering felt. Not exactly sporty if you ask me!

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 02-20-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode