painting my dash - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

My 69 Camaro's dash is pretty scratched up and faded (ash tray, glove box...) and I wanted to paint it gloss black again. I was wondering if any one has painted their dash themselves or if they had someone do it for them and how it turned out. I was thinking about doing it soon because I have most of the dash tore out anyway. I was going to remove the A/C vents and the gauge cluster and paint. Thanks for your time.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 00, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech

I think it was painted some form of semi-flat rather than gloss. I used spray paint on my 68. I was not looking for concourse quality just something which will pass all but the closest inspection. It is not to hard, remove what you can, then sand, wipe it down and spray. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 05:12 AM
Tech Team

The original finish is semi-gloss. I did mine in lacquer but spray can stuff works just as well...use good paint i.e. Krylon or OEM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 06:01 AM

There is a reason the manufactures don't paint dashes in high gloss. If you paint your dash pad in gloss you will be very dissapointed, the glare you will get from the sunlight is nasty and dangerous. Use a flat or a semi-gloss paint. I have used SEM also. make sure to throughy clean the pad with a grease and wax remover to get rid of any of those armer all type residue that may be on it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

I painted mine with Dupont Centari catalzed acrylic enamel. I told the auto paint shop what I was doing and they mixed it for me. I think they started with gloss black and mixed it some flattener. It looks right and it's very tough.

I cleaned the dash with the normal auto paint degreasers and then sanded it lightly then applied a primer/sealer and the paint. You do have to mask everything off carefully and wear a good respirator - but this paint will last forever.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The previous owner of my '68 ragtop replaced the top of the dash due to rust, and painted the dash body color. The pad is black, as is the rest of the inside. Not stock, but it looks pretty good.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 11:15 AM

I agree with the low gloss paint. I used an enamel based paint with a hardner and sprayed it on with a touch up gun. You end up doing more prep work than actual painting, so if its worth that much time to prep - it should be worth the extra money to apply good paint. Also, I wouldn't use the laquer based paints. They don't hold up to the UV rays in sunlight and fade pretty quickly. And the upper part of the dash is a hard area to re-do. Heres a picture of my re-painted lower dash: http://67camaro.virtualave.net/P9090023.JPG

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode