Non working washer fluid pump. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Last night I hooked up my wiper motor and fluid pump after sitting on a shelf for 7 years. This unit was working when I removed it from the car. Tested the wipers last night and they work great. Then I filled my jar up with some water to set the nozzles spray height and I got no juice. I can hear the pump click as it is activated but nothing happens. I took the large hose off of the pump and when I push the dash button I have no vaccuum on my thumb. Is there something easy that I'm missing so I don't need to take the assembly off the firewall and/or is there way to fix the pump easily.
Thnx in advance
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Ooops, for those that don't know I have a 68 Camaro if that makes a difference or not
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 11:01 AM
Kevin

NF, After 7 years, the seals in the white part of pump may be dried up. There is usually some kind of lubricant, (vaseline?) on the O-rings and seals to keep them supple. A pump rebuild kit is readily available to replace them, from any of the parts houses.

Don't forget to lube the star wheel behind the pump to make the action work easier.

Pump comes off of wiper motor housing with just a couple of screws. Then you can move the actuator by hand to see if you get vacuum.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 01-22-2001).]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, That's good news that I don't need to take the cowl off and all that. I just put the cowl on and it took quite a bit of mucking around to get it looking good. I'll tear into tonight and post the results here.

don
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Well I only had time to take the cover off and play a bit with it. Everything looks fine, all the seals are good and when I push the button it engages. I did find that the sprocket that turns when the wiper motor is on wasn't engaging the pump. If I pushed down on the pump lever a bit it would engage. Tonight I should be able to bend the pump bracket to get that sprocket to engage.

Don
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 05:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I had the same problem with mine. Kept messing with it and messing with it... finally had enough and got a whole new unit from Advance Auto Parts for $25.00. Be careful with the plastic drive gear on the motor, they are not very strong (I broke one).

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 05:43 AM
Tech Team

I have had the problem with the w/w pump loosing it's prime after sitting for long periods of time. I have had luck with getting a mouth full of water and blowing it into the pick up tube in the container while someone runs the pump this will sometimes do the trick. Worth a try...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok new problem. I went out and bought a new washer pump and as soon as I turn the wipers on it's pumping fluid onto my windshield and it won't stop. It just keeps pumping and pumping. I tinkered around with the plastic wheel position and it didn't seem to make a difference. Is it a bad pump or do I need to do something else?????????
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

NF I swear that you are telling the story of my suburban nearly word for word!!!
I finnally had enough of the truck and sold it ,funny wipers and all !!!
good luck
and post your finding if you win

ahh yea ! dont give up and sell your camaro !

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 09:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Unplug the power connection to the pump then turn your wipers on. If it's still pumping you've got ahold of a bad pump. If not then you may be getting some constant voltage which could mean a bad wiper/washer switch our perhaps a short somewhere along the way. There should only be voltage when you first push the switch, the pumping cycle is then mechanical.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 01-24-2001).]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

I got the same problem with mine. I'll have to try that fix rojo thx.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

TEST
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Man that was annoying. The board dropped my name and password off when I tried to post a reply. Took awhile to remember the old password.
Anyways good news I got the pump to work. I ended up taking the spring and the arm that rotates the plastic cam off of the original GM and added it to the aftermarket pump assembly and now it works great. It seams that that the spring on the new one wasn't quite as strong and the metal arm won't catch the cam to pull it around to disengage
the pump.
Thnx for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode