How do I Replace Power Top Fluid? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 04:49 PM
DelGratta

My power top doesnt work. When I flip the switch under the dash, I can hear the motor kick on, but the top doesnt move. The previous owner told me a line had burst and the fluid leaked out. (I can see and smell the proof of this)

Has anyone ever fixed such a problem? This is my first convertible so I need all the help I can get!!

I know the fluid is Delco Super #11, but what I really need is step by step on how to get to the broken line and what to do with it to repair and refill the system. Help!

ps... Sorry I posted this in General Tech but there's no convertible section here.

------------------
Dan
My 68 RS Conv. 1
My 68 RS Conv. 2
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 08:05 PM
Tech Team

Dan--I recently added fluid to mine on my 68.
Remove the back seatbottom and back. Seat back has two bolts underneath on back wall.Remove them and lift seatback up,it has hooks at top. For full inspection of hoses and pistons you will need to remove both side panels as well,which means the window cranks must come off first.If you had a leak it will probably be a mess somewhere back there. After you clean it up put down some plastic b/c youre not done making a mess yet.
The motor is set in place with rubber nipples. You will probably need to replace them. The rubber fill plug is located on the left end of motor. It can be tough to remove without ripping it. My motor had a factory sticker on it that said to only use type F trans fluid. Yours may be different. The motor is full when the fluid is just below the fill hole when its ON ITS SIDE (in the mounted position). To fill or bleed the lines I used a rubber hose jammed into the fill hole and the other end submerged in the fluid bottle which I believe should be level with the motor and ran the top up and down till lines are filled and air is out.
Tip motor over to its resting position till fluid drains out level with bottom of fill hole. put the plug back in. MAKE SURE motor is not touching any metal when in operation. Inspect for leaky seals around pison shaft and leaky fittings.

Sean
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech

Sean, great description of the process. I have just one question, when you were filling the res. you mention that after it was full, you set it back in position and let the fluid drain out until it's level with the hole. What postion did you have the res. in while it was filling?
DelGratta, I have had mine apart looking for a leak (1967) and some of the hose connections are a b*&^% to get to. I had to remove the bolts holding the top-lift-pistons in place to allow room to get to the hose fittings at the bottom. Also, I have found that Hydro-E-Lectric in Florida (877-493-7686) specializes in convertible top parts and sells very high quality parts. I ordered a set of lines from a Camaro parts house and the fittings literally twisted off the plastic line during installation. Hydro's stuff is closer to OEM and good quality. Just a thought. My sticker also said to use type F fluid. And Sean makes a good point, put down some plastic and have shop rags handy as this is a very messy job! By the way, your car is beautiful, I really like the dark blue.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 07:27 AM
Tech Team

DenverRS/SS, I had the motor on its end when I added the fluid, that was before I put the rubber hose in and ran top up and down to bleed. Filling the motor while on its end may not have been necessary for me b/c it wasnt dry. Thanks for the great tip on hydraulic parts. I wrote the number down.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech

Sean - thanks for the reply. My car is coming home from the body shop soon and getting the top in order is probably the first thing I will do. The tip on "siphoning" out of the fluid bottle into the res. sounds like it will save a big mess. By the way, my car had a broken rain gutter and also a broken tack strip that the lower rear of the top is stapled to. I had a hard time finding the tack strip but this guy in Florida has all this stuff.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 06:26 AM
DelGratta

Thanks!!!

I'll let you know how it turns out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode