carb for 69 z/28 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Hi guys I have a 69 z/28 that I bought used in 1972. I remember the guy saying he was the second owner the first being someone who worked at motion performance in Long Island.I recall him saying the car was stock except for headers and a set of traction bars that I took off.Recently having let the car sit in my garage for 20 years I am checking all the numbers and find the carb is not the 4053 dz holley. Now I can get a new one from the various parts suppliers or I found a guy that has a rebuilt 4053 dz for considerably more money than the new one. Although my car isn't 100% original it is pretty close and was wondering if the extra expense is worth it. Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

How original is the rest of the car? Heads, intake, distributor, etc. If the rest of it is original, then I would put a DZ carb back on it. But if the guy worked at Motion, then my guess would be that it was modified back in 69 so why not leave the mods. I've got a set of TRACO heads on my 69 Z28 and I'm going to keep them for the "historical" aspect of the car.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

bob, i'd like to know what the guys is asking for his r-4053 ? i have one ontop of my 396 and i would like to know what there selling for used in case i ever want to sell mine.
thanks,
bruce

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Hi thanks for responding the guy i bought the car from said it was stock except for the headers and that the heads were cc'd he never said anything about the carb though. I replaced the distributer with a mallory dual point back in the 70's, when I got the car back on the road in 99 i replaced the mallory with an accel electronic so the distributer is not original. Also the smog system was removed my guess is it probably seen at least some racing. As for the cost a new replacement 4053dz is 500 at ricks first gen and the guy that had the rebuilt one is asking 650 for it.
One other thing the guy selling the carb asked what the build date on the car was, at the time I didn't know. Went home and checked it to be the fourth week of August. Now is this August of 69 or 68 the serial number seems to indicate 69 but when does the model year actually start? And how does that relate to the date on the carburator?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech

69's started being built in aug. of 68. but due to the new 70 1/2 model they were also made in aug. 1969.
check your vin, i've been told these #'s are wrong but you should be able to tell from them if it's a 68 or 69 aug. build date:
August 1968
nor -500001 to 502999
la - 50001 to 50999
August 1969
nor -669120 to 678253
no la cars for aug. 69

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 00, 02:50 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

$650 for a rebuilt DZ carb is way too high. Check on Ebay and on this site. They do show up for sale pretty often. If the car is that close to stock, then you probably want to return it to original parts. But sometimes it doesn't run as well with all stock parts and something like an electronic ignition or headers really help it run better. I'm going with the crossram on my car so it won't be 100% stock original from a technical standpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode