Putting Antenna On Car 69ss - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

What is involved to put an antenna on a 69 Camaro? Have new fenders with no holes. Any tips, tricks, or what type of shop can best do this? Also, doesn't the antenna go on the right front fender?

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
Smile

It goes on the right front fender if your car came with a factory rear spoiler. If not it went on the right rear. it is rather simple to drill hole in fender and run cable thru door jamb area into under the dash area and over to Radio, there should be a hole or a plug in the passengers door jamb area, (front) just around the corner from the dome light switch. near hinges, I can make a measurement off mine car to give you idea where to drill hole.

JC
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, the measurement would be great.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:16 PM
Tech Team

Yes, your antenna should be mounted on the right front, unless you want a rear mount antenna, that was mounted on the right rear. Cars with a rear spoiler did not have them, because the spoiler hit the rear antenna when you raised the trunk lid.
I measured my right front ant. location for you, if it will help. Here is a "rough" estimate:
The center point of the antenna hole is about 2" from the outside RH edge of the fender. Also, if you draw a "centerline" from front to rear of the fender, the center of the hole is about 7" from the rear of the fender. It looks like the hole is maybe about 1 & 1/16", or 1 & 1/8" in diameter. You might want to double check your antenna size before you actually drill the hole. Hope this helps.

Sorry JC, I didn't see your response, (I had to go look at my car). Is my measurement close to yours?

[This message has been edited by Peace69Z/28 (edited 07-23-2000).]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

By the way, is there a special drill you would use for that? And how would you go about anchoring the antenna? Is the inner fender going to have to be removed?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
Cool

Well like everything from these Camaro's there is a slight variation in the measurment for the ant location. mine is a Norwood car and the ant is 1.5 inches from outside edge and 5.5 inches from rear, this is measured as center of ant. but I am sure there was not really an exact measurment. Look up under the fender from the door jamb near the hinges and see if there is a brace there, I would start out with a small hole and slowly make it bigger until the ant fits, good luck

JC
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

I had to drill my right fender for the antenna and there is reinforcing on the under side of the fender where the antenna goes. I had my fender off to replace the heater blower so the location was an easy one for me. The Assembly Manual (page 442)has the location documented pretty accurately. "0" lines being the face of the firewall and the centerline of the car. The hole is 1-1/8" but has a key notch that will have to be filed in. Good luck.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

By the way... Rear antennas were only available for AM radios. AM-FM radios were all right front mounted antennas.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

kurt, could you describe your key notch filled in comment.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

There is a notch that is .156" wide and .125" long that has to be cut out of the left side of the 1-1/8" hole in the fender. This notch is to accept a "key" on the antenna to keep it from turning. I used a metal file to notch mine and that seemed to work fine. If you have the antenna, you can use it to check how much you have to file away to make it fit. This notch will be at 9:00 as you look down on the hole (12:00 being towards the front of the car).
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 02:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

This is the first I have heard of the AM antenna going only on the rear. OR the case of the only way the antenna went on the front fender was if the car was equipped with a rear spoiler. My car must be the odd one because it has the antenna (oval not perfectly round) on the front fender and has no rear spoiler and is an AM.

Where did you guys get your info from. Is this correct??

Just wondering cause you got me thinking

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently on the rotisserie
1972 Chevelle SS Conv LS3
1984 Z28 w/ZZ4 conversion
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 03:34 PM
Tech Team

Sorry for the confusion. I think what we meant to say was the rear mount antenna was an option, but was not available with the spoiler option, because the rear spoiler would hit the antenna when you raised the trunk lid.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 04:22 PM
AJ
Tech Team

If you're going to use a car cover, consider NOT using an external ant.
It's a real bummer to either slit the cover or remover the ant when you cover the car.
I understand there's a "hidden" ant that is used on street rods that functions well.
My '69 Z has repacement fenders and therefore no hole in the fender for the ant.
A real blessing when it comes time to cover.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

AJ could you describe the hidden antenna? Simple wires spread? A kit? Are you using one?

Thanks.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 00, 04:09 AM
Tech Team

One more point that I don't believe was mentioned; it seems obvious but it is very easy to overtighten the antenna base thus warping the sheet metal. I don't know if the repro fenders have added reinforcement. I'm also curious about the hidden antenna if someone could offer some info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode