wanting to buy my first camaro , need tips - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I wana buy a '69 camaro because i think they are the best looking car out there. I know very little about them. I need to know why some are worth 20k++ and some are like 7k. I dont care if it is all origional or such. I just want a good looking car with a lot of power. I kinda wana opt for a 396 and a 12 bolt rear ... but im not sure if that is what i should opt for or not , my budget is about $8000 , i just want it too look good , it doesn't have to be a collectors item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech

The best advice i can give you is make sure the car is rust free. This is one of the, if not THE, most expensive thing to fix on a car. Be sure to look at the floor pan and the corners of the trunk. Take one of those business card magnets with you and use it on the quarters, rocker panels, etc in order to spot bondo repair( it may be a cheap repair and rust is just around the corner). The magnet will not stick to areas that have been repaired with body filler. As far as the big block goes, if you find one with a 12 bolt and no rust BUY it. Youll fall in love with it as soon as the rear tires melt for the first time
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 11:45 AM

It's going to be near impossible to find an original $8000 big block in any kind of shape that won't bust the bank to fix. Look around for someone who has lost interest or is in a bad situation, many times you can get a really good deal. As for original try and save a few more pennies and get something that's right for you don't jump into something until you ask more questions. This site can do that for you. No question is to dumb. Also spent a few bucks on camaro literature that's available "read - read - read" you will be amazed how much you will learn........ Good luck !!

[This message has been edited by wacky174 (edited 01-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by wacky174 (edited 01-23-2001).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 12:12 PM

Talking

I hope you find a good one , everyone will disagree with me but I say stay as far away as you can from a big block if you plan to ride and enjoy the car , for someone that is not rich $$$$$ a big block is just a lot of expence $$$$$$$$ for nothing , or unless you just want to sell the car , a big block will make a $2000 car into a $8000 car and it is not worth it they DRINK GAS and on todays gas a well prepped small block will run as good if not better , so my advice for you just starting out and want to enjoy your car get some type of small block 327 350 it does not matter the only way to beat a small chevy is with another small chevy , good luck ,

------------------
67 RS 327 deluxe tach gauges , with 1967 Virginia plates 759-898
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 12:23 PM

Cool

I just bought my 1st Camaro ('69) in November. I've been waiting 15 years, and I finally found one!
I was like you, looking around $10g's, but I finally realized that I wasn't going to get what I wanted for that kinda dough. I upped the ante a little and found a great ride for $12g (canadian)
I found my car on E-bay! THe guy was divorced, and looking to get rid of the car. I was in the right spot at the right time!
It had a frame off resto 6 years ago, and the interior is immaculate!
It has a 327 with about 10,000 miles on it,and the car itself only has 93,000 miles on it!
I don't understand your reasoning behind a big block, maybe you have alot of time to spend at the gas stations!
All I know is that 327 of mine has no trouble catching rubber going thru the gears!
Just keep your eyes open and look everywhere!
If you're patient like I was, you'll find that the search was well worth it!

Good Luck!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I like my Big Block Camaro and wouldn't have it any other way. Keep your eyes open, nice
big block cars are out there. I bought mine last year for $7,500 with a 283 in it. I pulled the 283 and put the 396/375 back in it. Can't compare the lil ol 283 to the 396..
Check my pics.....

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech

Zach - I want to double the post form jvolk81, when you see rust, run!! This stuff is very expensive to repair and normally has to be done by an experienced body man with the right tools. #2 is try to get a car that is as complete as possible. Another big expense is running down parts. And yes, read all you can. There are some really good books on Camaros and options and decoding the body tags and all. Knowledge is soooo powerful when you are thinking of buying one of these cars.
Post any questions you have here. Except for the posts talking down the big blocks, nearly all the posts are really great here Maybe besides the Chevy v. Ford debate, we will have the "Mouse" v. "Rat" debate Good luck with your search!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

Hey 67rs327, don't knock it til' you try it. I used to feel the same way until I drove one......and fell in love with it. I can afford the gas, thank you very much. Small price to pay for that smile left on your face after slaying yet another small block car. I say go for the BIG BLOCK! The Rat wins most of the time......

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 08:42 AM

Lightbulb

KZ I did try it , bought a 69 396 4spd , it ran fine but I dont have much money and could not keep gas in it , built a 355 it ran better and could drive it without stopping for gas every ten miles , dont get me wrong I love chevy's all of um but for daily use and just plain ol fun you cant beat a small block chevy ,
also had problem's at rod run's in heavy traffic with the big block over heating ,
my small block will sit and idle till it run's out of gas and you can lay your hand on the top hose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

67rs327, I agree with the daily driving thing, but he didn't say what his intentions were, whether he just wanted a weekend beast or a daily driver. I agree 100% that a small block would make a better driver. OK, just for that, I take back half the things I said about you.......

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 12:13 PM

Talking

KZ I also agree that a big block makes a better weekend beast , if he want's it strictly for that purpose and has extra $$$ for gas a big block is a blast full of torqe and power , I just like the smallie's

------------------
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

One reason some cars are more than others is originality: original engine, trans, differential etc. True restorations, as they came from the factory, are worth more. Top dollar gets paid for original Z-28's, SS's and big blocks. This site will help you on some basic trivia and information as well as decoding.
http://www.camaros.org/

------------------
http://geocities.com/mike67rs/1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode