Cam / Roller / Rockers / Headers - Need Suggestions For A 97 Z28 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Question

Okay gang, I've been following a few threads here and have found the knowledge on this site to be superb...
So, I come to you with these questions...

I want to do a little more moding on my 97 Z28. It's a stock motor with a couple bolt ons. The bolt ons can be viewed in my signature.

I'm considering a cam swap along with the rollers, rockers and the headers.

Is it necessary to do the heads as well since I'm gonna do the cam?

Please help me here and make suggestions as to what you have found works best.

Thank you all so much!! 1997 with 72k.

------------------
"Gonzo" SmoknZ28 SmoknZ28's Hang Out
Mid-Atlantic F-Body Association Virginia Chapter Director

1997 Camaro Z28 Ragtop
Current Mods: Borla Dual Catback Exhaust / Hypertech Power Programmed HPP+ / Big Block Hood / Light Bar / Eibach Progressive Springs / Dual Pillar Pod with Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges / 160 Degree Thermo / K&N Valve Cover Breather / Hotchkis STB / GM Performance Cold Air Induction Package / 1LE Drive Shaft / Throttle Body Air Foil / Chrome Emblems / Ground Effects / Sport Rear Wing / Enkei V1 Series Rims (BFG Comp T/A 275x40x17 front / 295x35x18 rear) / Rockford Fosgate Sound System / MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires / Bosch Platinum Plugs / 3:73 GM Original Gears & TA Performance Girdle / Energy Suspension Tranny Mount / HAL Stocker AL 12-Way Adjustable Shocks (Rear) / Energy Suspension Torque Arm Bushing / Precision Industries Vigilante 2,800 RPM-Stall Torque Converter / Kenny Brown Double Diamond Subframe Connectors

Awaiting Installation: HAL Proma Star GT 12-Way Adjustable Shocks (Front) & HAL Front Drag Springs / TransGo Shift Kit /

Instant Messenger Profile: PoweredZ28 Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I had a 93 Vette with an LT1. If you swap to a ZZ9 cam from Tuned Port Specialties (www.tpis.com) it is worth about 40 h.p. and it is smog-legal; you may have to change valve springs though. You can re-use your stock roller lifters. They like 1.6 roller rockers (I used Crower stainless). At the time I built mine there were no aftermarket heads available for the LT1 so I went with the TPIS fully-ported stock heads....major difference. They will also try to talk you into full-length headers which add a bunch of torque, especially after the increased breathing of the cam and heads.

The cam by itself will wake up the engine but eventually you'll want more and the heads are worth the money. I would probably use some AFR's if I did it again.

I ended up with a 383 after wrecking the crank and block with nitrous. The car eventually ran an 11.80 and still got 25 mpg and passed smog.

Jody
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the response...

I will start looking into this....

Gonzo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Gonzo,

I am with Jody's post and every thing said is very good. But here is something to think about, these engines are designed to do so much and if you exceed that limit like Jody you will wreck the bottom end.If you plan to keep the car wait until rebuild time and put the crank, and rods in it that will take the abuse of more HP, and also you can build a stroker at that point, and add the heads, cam,ect.

So what to do now? I learned years ago that I could put lower gears in my car and nothing else and out run most all my friends.

So in saying that, I will say this, the LT1 LOVES LOW GEARS. You may not want to go this low but I built a 1st gen w/LT1 for a guy that had 4:11 posi and the second day, he nailed it going about 35 MPH and it went to low, and cut the tires loose went backwards, slamed a curb, bent two wheels, one axle, an aframe and a new ball joint, before he knew what happened.

This same car gets 17MPG dogging it out, and 20+ highway, and if you don't keep your car pull the low geared diff out when you sell the car and sell the diff seprate. I think some of the 6SPD cars have at least 3:66 or lower gears, and it will bolt right in, and save the old one.

By the way Jody don't take offence I have done the same thing, and was just throwing something else out there to think about.

Larry

[This message has been edited by lnjstreetrods (edited 10-25-2000).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 05:46 PM

Ok. I also have a 97 Z-28 convt. I'm not willing to anything internally, just stick to bolt ons since my car only has 27,000 on the odo, and I'm not yet ready to blow it up. But I'd like some serious giddy'up. My car has 3.23 rears. I want to add the P industries torque converter this winter when the car is garaged. My concern: if I go to 3.4X or higher gears (with the torque converter) will my car have any grab off the line, or dropping it going into a corner (scary incident there when I briefly,like an idiot, went with all season tires in case I got hit by a suprise snow). BTW, I'm running potenza RE730's (eagle GSCs just too damn slippery).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode