Auto or Manual orginal Tranny - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I just pulled up the carpet on my 69 Camaro transmission hump under the console. It has a automatic in it now, but a large square hole has been cut out under the shifter toward the driver side. about a 1/3 of the shifter sits over this whole. Obviously not the way it came from GM. Is there anyway to tell what kinda transmission came in a 69 orginally. I do not have any documentation, or the orginal engin. I do have the following:

2 week feb build date
V8 Vin number
Dual fuel lines, LM1 discontinued at this date so must be a SS350
12 bolt posi, orginal (numbers match)
All other SS items (dual exaust frame rear supports, 5 leaf springs, SS hood (orginal), X-11 car)

I do not belive being a SS has anthing to do with what tranny came in my car (auto vs Manual), but listed it just incase it might help. I thought I read once a auto matic transmission speedometer cable come thru the fire wall in a different location then a Mannual? Thanks for any help.

------------------
69 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Good question. I'm not sure I have the answer for you but . . . I think 12 bolt high-performance cars came with either the TH400 auto or the 4 speed manual. You should be able to rule out the 'glide and Saginaw. If you can tell what crossmember came in the car originally you might be able to tell whether its the 400 or 4 speed. The 400 cars used a tubular crossmember and (I think) the 4 speed used the flat double hump one.

BTW I am completely unsure what cars used the TH350 in '69 - I think it came into production in '69 but am not sure what if any Camaros they were put in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Eric,

I know the Turbo 350 was an option for the SS350. A 3 speed manual was standard. A turbo 400 was only used on the big block, which I know was not in my coupe.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Lance

I just converted mine from an original T350 to a four speed. If it was orinal automatic look for a 1-1/4" hole that the shift cable went through. There were maybe four nutserts that the floor shifter bracket bolted to. Neutral switch wiring in the console harness.

Original four speed would have the clutch engagement switch mounted to the clutch pedal along with the correct wiring. Wiring for the backup switch going to the switch on the transmission.

That's about all I can think of for now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

I think the speedo cable location would be different and look for the z bar frame bracket between inner fender and frame rail too.
MIKE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just traced out my speedometer cable. It enters the firewall to the left (Driverside) of the steering column. Does anyone know if a Manual Transmission entered in a different place?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Send a message via AIM to DanCamm
What you may also be looking at under your carpet is the original hole from a 4-speed. The shifter hole on Muncie equipped 69's was less than a science...my 69 RS/SS is a 4 speed car and the hole is actually just torch cut into the floor (this is from the factory). There was a pretty long thread on this topic a while back over at CRG....all of the "Z" owners confirmed this too.....something to consider.
Good Luck,

Dan

------------------
Dan Camm
1969 Daytona Yellow RS/SS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Doc

Automatics:left of steering column. 4- speeds: right of steering column behind valve cover.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Danzo,

If I read your reply correctly, left of the steering column (toward the drivers side) is a automatic. This means I orginally has a automatic. I wonder why someone cut the hole in my tranny tunnel. Must of had a 4 speed sometime it my car's life. Thank you all for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode