Repo Cowl induction set up - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

Hello...I'm a new member with only a few posts so far and have spent the last 3 days reading the many back posts in the "General Tech" area alone. Lots of informative stuff here and some reduntant...but i like what i have seen so far. Now I have to tackle the other areas. To get to my question though...Has anyone had any hands on with the repo cowl induction set up currently for sale for the 69 Camaro? Quality and fit and so on and so forth. All opinions would help in my decision to purchase. Is the price right? I have many more questions on ther topics but don't want to become one of those "people you hate that keep asking the same questions" people until I read everything I can on this website. I see that it can get brutal here, as well as other web sites have, that I have seen. I just purchased my second Z28 in the past 30 years and have more knowedge now than before just by reading posts here and CRG. So please bare with me. How do most you add those little faces on the posts... pretty cool and where do you find them? Check out my homepage. Still under construction.

---------
Gary
Cortez Silver 69 Z28 http://members.aol.com/tool53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 03:56 PM
Team Member
John

The repro setups are reasonably well made and work fine when properly installed. The repro seal to the hood leaves a lot to be desired (wrinkly-looking, doesn't stand up like it should) - look for an original GM seal instead if you're interested in appearance.

On the page where you type your post, there's a blue link in the left margin that says "Smilies Legend" - click on it and it will show you all the different smilies available that you can insert in your post - just put a space before and after it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

JohnZ...thanks my friend on the reply. I have been thinking pretty hard on this subject (can you smell the rubber burning ) about purchasing the cowl induction set up. Any particular place that might have the better price. I was gravitating towards Rick's to be honest with you. Is the original seal still available from GM? Finding options for my car is very challenging. Just picked up a GM endura bumper for $200.00 with a slight bow on the drivers side. Very fixable, however need the inner brackets to mount it. Know where I can pick up a set?
I tried the smileys for "[email protected] and grins"...hope they come out so I don't have to put that embarrassed one in. Take care.

---------
Gary
Cortez Silver 69 Z28

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Wow!!! It worked. Now I am a computer nerd as well as a motorhead. Who says I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech

My setup came from Rick's and the rubber is a good piece, no wrinkles and fits to the bottom of the hood great, I think the frame mounts had something to do with positioning the engine correct for cowl induction on Z/28's and SS 350's, am I correct John Z?

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 03:21 AM

The seal is still available from GM and I don't know why most suppliers don't list it.
I can get you the part number if you want it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the repro but personally I try to get GM if possible. I would buy what parts I can get from GM then buy the rest repro. But thats me and it can be a hassle. The BB frame mounts lift the drivers side of the motor a bit which in turn makes it seem like it moves the engine towards the passenger side of the car somewhat. I have used BB and SB mounts with cowl induction on a BB and the seal always mated fine to the hood
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Hello 69SS396...I would like to have that part number please, Thanks. What is the going price on that seal from GM?...just curious. I don't have the original engine for my car at the moment, so I'm running a 350 with the L31 Vortec heads #12558060 with stiffer springs, screw in studs and guide plates, drilled and tapped for the earlier style intakes and an Edelbrock dual plane comparable to the Z intake. So I shouldn't have any trouble setting up this cowl system to that. What would the adapter ring be required for that I see that comes with the 350 kit?

--------
Gary
Cortez Silver 69 Z28
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 02:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply. The part number for the seal is 3955231 and it lists for $59.25 or wholesale at $44.44 More expensive than the repro but what NOS piece isn't. I like the original piece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode